The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutlinerPro question: container card Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am not sure why this is happening; I am sure it is user error.

My container card on the left of my document does not show me the individual parts of my outline when I click on the particular part. It just shows the name of the columns. I want to be able to quickly navigate and see individual parts of my outline.

How can I get the container card to show me the content?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Hi there-
I believe I just answered the email you sent to Support, but I wanted to post the main points below in case anyone else has this question. :)
The container card you are referring to is called the the Sections List in OmniOutliner, and it acts as an overview of the highest-level items in your outline, which means the information in Level 1 rows of Column 1 and their child rows. Click a section title to temporarily hoist that section to the top level, so you can concentrate on that section and ignore the rest of the outline.

This means that if you want to see text associated with your level 1 rows, you would need to create a level 1 row, then add any text or information you want included in that Section as Child rows. Then, when you click on any of the Sections in the Sections list, you will see the Level 1 row as the title of the Section, and the Child Row text displayed below.

I've attached two "test" screenshots: View 1 is a simple Level 1 Row and Child Setup, and View 2 is the Hoisted view of the first Level 1 row and its Child row. I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoisttest1.png
Views:	335
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1118   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoisttest2.png
Views:	327
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1119  

Yes, thanks so much! It was user error. In short, I made no children!

Had I made level 1 and level 2 (instead of just making 2 separate columns), I would have been able to use the container card the way I wanted to!

I could do a massive "cut and paste" at this point.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Marie, I'm thinking that Myrrh got some extra clues in the email that those of us trying to puzzle this out on the forum didn't get :) On the other hand, if the ninjas didn't get a picture of your document or such details, a tip of the hat to them for guessing that you might have made multiple columns and no children! I like to think I do a pretty good job of imagining ways that people might make mistakes, but you had me completely fooled!

Tip of the Hat for sure.

I also sent them an email with the document attached because I was pretty sure once they saw the mess I had created, it would be clear.

I am loving OO3 Pro, now that I realize I need to bear more children!