The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help with drawing line in a circle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, gang, I'm really stuck and need help.

I need the international symbol that shows a line through the middle of a circle with words behind it (meaning: "No _______!). There doesn't seem to be a stencil for it. (Disappointing, because there are so many specialized software and wireframe shapes available, hundreds, but no stencil for this very basic shape used all over the world.)

So I'm trying to combine a circle with a line in front of it. I can use snap-to-grid to make the line exactly 45º and move it into the circle. But when I extend both points to the edge of the circle, it vanishes behind the circle. I can select the circle and tell it "send to back" but the line is still hidden.

If I start drawing the line within the circle, it insists on snapping one end to the center, and the other to the edge of the circle. Turning off all snap-to-grip and smart guides doesn't help.

I know I can go back to my Mac, where I created this symbol, and drag it into the drawing. But that's a long workaround.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

—Sandy

Draw a circle of desired size. Separately draw a vertical line of same length as circle's diameter, using the Geometry inspector to set it exactly. Rotate to 45 degrees, then stack over the circle using the Smart Guides to align both horizontally and vertically. Group together and you should be set, maybe make a stencil if you do this frequently.

The circle-slash is actually one of the built-in shapes, just drag out a square or circle, then in the Shape Inspector popover there's the circle-slash down at the bottom. Tap that, and presto!