The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcuts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm very new to OF but I'm working on a non-american keyboard. For indentation OF uses square brackets. These are not available on a french keyboard. Are these shortcuts hardwired or can I change them to something I have....

Thanks

JP

You can change keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences (search for "keyboard shortcuts"), though unfortunately it's not the friendliest interface ever. (But it is fairly flexible, letting you change keyboard shortcuts for all applications or for any specific application.)

But before you go to that trouble, you might see whether "Move Left" and "Move Right" commands might be more convenient for you: they perform the same operations, and are bound to the keys Control-Command-Left and Control-Command-Right. (Well, they perform the same operations in the build that's about to be posted; before that, Outdent and Move Left behaved slightly differently and feedback indicated that everyone preferred the Move Left behavior.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbogers View Post
I'm very new to OF but I'm working on a non-american keyboard. For indentation OF uses square brackets. These are not available on a french keyboard.
JP
Technically speaking, they are available on the French AZERTY keyboard, but they are shift-option-( and shift-option-), not the easiest keystrokes to use. Ken's suggestion is probably best!

Other question about keyboard shortcuts: why can't I override Apple-1 and such which are already used by OF? Is that an OS or OF limitation?

Victor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
You can change keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences (search for "keyboard shortcuts"), ...
Since upgrading to Leopard (and leaving behind Unsanity's Menu Master), I've been using System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts to bring my personal view of keyboard sanity to many applications, including OmniFocus. For example, I successfully assigned Command-left-arrow and -right-arrow to Outdent and Indent.

I just attempted to add shortcuts to View > Status Filter > Any Status and Remaining submenu items. OmniFocus did not pick up either assigning, but it did remove my Any Status shortcut (Command-Shift-A) from Edit > Deselect All.

[submitted as formal feedback]

Exactly what is the syntax to type into OSX's keyboard shortcut dialog to invoke the following item: View Grouping Ungrouped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Severson View Post
Exactly what is the syntax to type into OSX's keyboard shortcut dialog to invoke the following item: View Grouping Ungrouped?
In my limited experience with fiddling with kbd shortcuts for the mac in general and OF in particular, I've noticed two things.

(1) Some items can't be given a shortcut no matter what
(2) If two items have the same name, when you assign a shortcut, it might go to one, and it might go to the other.

- Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I successfully assigned Command-left-arrow and -right-arrow to Outdent and Indent.

I just attempted to add shortcuts to View > Status Filter > Any Status and Remaining submenu items. OmniFocus did not pick up either.
I had a similar situation. I successfully changed "Move Up/Down/Right/Left" to match my OmniOutliner shortcuts. But "Edit Note" and a few other commands ignored my attempts to set new shortcuts. The menus displayed the new shortcuts, but the shortcuts didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
I had a similar situation. I successfully changed "Move Up/Down/Right/Left" to match my OmniOutliner shortcuts. But "Edit Note" and a few other commands ignored my attempts to set new shortcuts. The menus displayed the new shortcuts, but the shortcuts didn't work.
I've had that problem in multiple Mac apps, typically when the OS is intercepting the key for something. The application never gets notified that the user pressed the key combination.

Curt