The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible to have on-hold Actions (like Projects)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Projects can be set to "On Hold". I have plenty of Actions whose Project is not on hold, but for which I have Actions that are in a Waiting For status. So far I've assigned such Actions to a "WF" (or "WF - Joe") Context, and if the WF is ad hoc (i.e., one I don't want to bother creating a "WF - <whomOrWhatEver>", I append " WF: <whomOrWhatEver>" to the Action. I can filter on the "WF" status. Once the WF is done, I switch the Context to whatever the actual context is.

Unless I'm missing a method, it would be handy to be able to mark Actions as "On Hold" like Projects can be marked. This might make filtering easier, and also avoids having to think about, and then switch the Context from "WF" to the appropriate context.

Bob

I think the way to handle this is to not assign it a context (a context implies you have a sense of exactly how you would do it, and are ready to go)

Then when looking at available actions, these would not show.

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
I think the way to handle this is to not assign it a context (a context implies you have a sense of exactly how you would do it, and are ready to go)

Then when looking at available actions, these would not show.

-P
The more common way to do this is to set the Waiting For context to "Blocks Next Action" -- which in the latest build is called "On Hold".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
So far the vast majority of Actions I have that are waiting for have a Context that is known up front. "Order widget X." @computer [waiting for budget approval]; "Go for walk on beach." @errands [waiting for sunny day]. So for me, I'd rather have it entered up front, but I can see this isn't the case for everyone. Still, having a "WF" or "WF- Electrician (or someone like him)" is a handy way to filter; it would be interesting to have a second Context assignable to an Action, sort of queued up that would take over when the WF is done. Go ahead, throw the beer bottles this way, I'm surrounded by chickenwire! ;)

davisre: thanks for the Context "On Hold" tip -- I'll give that a try.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
So far the vast majority of Actions I have that are waiting for have a Context that is known up front. "Order widget X." @computer [waiting for budget approval]; "Go for walk on beach." @errands [waiting for sunny day]. So for me, I'd rather have it entered up front, but I can see this isn't the case for everyone. Still, having a "WF" or "WF- Electrician (or someone like him)" is a handy way to filter; it would be interesting to have a second Context assignable to an Action, sort of queued up that would take over when the WF is done. Go ahead, throw the beer bottles this way, I'm surrounded by chickenwire! ;)
It sounds like you're actually talking about actions grouped into a project. At least that's how I'd do it. The "Get a Widget" project might start with three actions: ask for approval (context: phone), receive approval (context: waiting, which is set to on-hold), and purchase widget (context: errand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisre View Post
The "Get a Widget" project might start with three actions: ask for approval (context: phone), receive approval (context: waiting, which is set to on-hold), and purchase widget (context: errand).
I was hoping to avoid that much granularity; and "receive[ing] approval" does not seem to be a physical action (that you can do; but I suppose the eventual reading of the email or listening to the voice of the approver is such a physical action -- just waiting to happen (this is getting sort of metaphysical;)); but I do see how breaking it down brings some clarity. What context would you assign "receive approval" to after you've received the approval? I suppose context: phone (or computer, etc.)... Thanks.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-12-27 at 01:30 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I was hoping to avoid that much granularity; and "receive[ing] approval" does not seem to be a physical action (that you can do; but I suppose the eventual reading of the email or listening to the voice of the approver is such a physical action -- just waiting to happen (this is getting sort of metaphysical;)); but I do see how breaking it down brings some clarity. What context would you assign "receive approval" to after you've received the approval? I suppose context: phone (or computer, etc.)... Thanks.

Bob
Well, I don't change the contexts of my actions after they're set, except to correct an error or something. They'd remain as I described above. As I'm working through a project, I just check things off, so in this case, after placing the phone call, I check off "ask for approval," and then when I receive approval I check off the "receive approval" action, which moves me to the next action, "purchase widget."

DOH, that makes total sense. The "waiting for" is just marked as complete. Thanks.

Bob