The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using OpenMeta to tag Projects and tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The threads around tagging in OF are epic, so I don't want to start/restart one yet again :-) I know that right now, I could tag individual projects with OpenMeta tags by going to Library/caches/metadata/com.omnigroup/OmniFocus and tagging the individual project files. Once tagged, the project files are associated with their OpenMeta tags, and show up in any OpenMeta tag organization software (Leap in my case).

Does anyone know of a way to access the individual records for the same purpose, or are those not exposed as individual files?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Only the projects are exposed.

I don't know anything about OpenMeta. I do know that it would be possible to write an Applescript that walked the entire OmniFocus database, and extracted the name of each item and constructed a URL that could be used by another program to open OmniFocus and go directly to that item. You would have to run such a script often to keep the data up to date as your database changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Only the projects are exposed.

I don't know anything about OpenMeta. I do know that it would be possible to write an Applescript that walked the entire OmniFocus database, and extracted the name of each item and constructed a URL that could be used by another program to open OmniFocus and go directly to that item. You would have to run such a script often to keep the data up to date as your database changes.
That could work very well. If the script were to generate a file for each task with the content being the URL then the files could be tagged using OpenMeta. At that point, the project and the individual tasks could be tagged to anyone's heart's content and be available the tag browsers.

OpenMeta is a way of tagging files. The area used for tagging is a file's extended attributes (xattr), which any software could access programmatically (and many do). Having this capability could resolve the entire multiple contexts/tagging by placing the issue outside of OF. Personally, that would be a preferred approach, as with this capability, one would desire to view tags across applications. For instance, I can do a search on a particular tag and see all the files, emails and even EverNote notes that have been tagged with said tag.

FWIW another approach is to use scripts like these to keep the verbs in OmniFocus, and the linked nouns in DEVONthink, which supports tagging and OpenMeta.

DEVONthink records (with clickable links back into OmniFocus) can be found through tags.

(It may also be worth looking at the related Ammonite)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-09-03 at 02:26 PM..