The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Review process for revising projects and todo Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've been through the excellent book Creating flow with Omnifocus and I'm using OF for a few months now but I still have the feeling that I'm missing something as I never use the revision feature.

I'm wondering if you could share some links or resources about the weekly review process and how do you deal with revisions. If you have specifics routines for that?

I've searched in the forum and I found this mind map which looks interesting http://i.imgur.com/tjCuP.jpg

Thanks

Interesting jpg.

Although my own process differs as I include monthly, quarterly, and yearly reviews. Each review is more significant and deeper than the other.

I tend to review on the iPad app, as the UI is wonderful but it is fully possible to do it on the mac version if that is all you have. If you have the ipad version just give it a go - I think you will find it instantly makes sense.

If not, on the mac add to your action bar the default perspective "review" and the "mark as reviewed" icon. And start moving through reviewing each of your projects.

The best tip is to set the default review period to something that makes sense for you. For example, you may want to review project1 weekly, but project2 only monthly or even quarterly - I also have projects that I review yearly. It is the horizons of focus stuff in the Getting things done book.

I hope that is helpful.

I use the review weekly on my Mac. Tried the iPad version and hated it. Reason is I like to review my projects in groups. So I click review and then select only the stalled projects. That allows me to see which ones are missing a next action. Once those are edited to have a next action and I click review on them I then move to the pending projects, to give me a sense of what is coming up. Next are on-hold projects (where I park all someday/maybe projects). During that I may set to active a project I need to get going on. When I do that it disappears from the review which is exactly the behavior I want. Then I do active projects. If as I 'm looking at them I have too many in a particular AOF I may set a few to on-hold. It's where I fine tune what I will focus on this next week. Lastly I check remaining to see if I've missed anything.

The inability to look at groups of projects that way on the iPad makes reviewing there impossible for me. With almost 1000 projects total in my system I can't handle the volume any other way. I typically have about 200 active current projects at any given time.

Oogiem,

Very interesting post. I was wondering if you processed all of your projects this way every week or if you did some them every week and after a few weeks starts again from the "beginning"?

Also, how related are your projects? I also have a lot of projects and struggle with that aspect.

Thanks!

Julien