The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

zoomed text editor icon coming back in 5.6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
It's worth pointing out at this stage that the major disadvantage that the zoomable text areas suffer from relative to the zoomed text editor is the inability to specify your own fonts and (more importantly) font sizes. I hope the intention is to keep both rather than drop the zoomed text editor in favour of the text area solution?
You can put into your custom style sheet a rule such as

Code:
textarea {
    font-family: Rockwell ! important;
    font-size: 18px ! important;
}
This allows you to style textareas. Of course, it's not as flexible as the Zoomed editor, but once you have decided on a good font and size for typing with, I don't see why you would change it.

dangerous - thanks for the info, but I don't use a custom style sheet.

One other disadvantage (or is it a bug) - the scaling of the text areas is never remembered between sessions or globally for the site. It gets annoying that you have to scale it each and every time. Is this likely to be corrected or is it something that can't be corrected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
dangerous - thanks for the info, but I don't use a custom style sheet.
Fair enough you might prefer the zoomed text editor but if you can improve the situation by using a custom stylesheet there is no reason in the world (that I can think of) not to use them. Once you have it set up and out of the way (mine is in ~/Library/Application Support) it's totally transparent and an easy way to make changes such as the one above to improve your browsing experience. It's just a basic text file containing a number of rules. If you put the rule above into a file on its own, with nothing else at all, it would be a valid stylesheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
One other disadvantage (or is it a bug) - the scaling of the text areas is never remembered between sessions or globally for the site. It gets annoying that you have to scale it each and every time. Is this likely to be corrected or is it something that can't be corrected?
I'd say it was a disadvantage, not a bug. It would be a very nice feature though if that was implemented!

Last edited by dangerous; 2007-07-28 at 07:50 AM..

Well, I've just tried it (style sheet) thanks and it works. Having both the scalable text area (for quick entry) and zoomable text editor (for when I need more space) is the best of both worlds, so I am happy :-)

Cool! You may want to try something other than 18px Rockwell though :D That was just a random selection to show that you didn't have to stick to just "web" fonts like Arial, Verdana etc.

Don't worry - I assigned Myriad Pro at 16pt rather than Rockwell at 24px (so that scaling works in the semi-mythical resolution independent UI, if and when it arrives ;)

The two are complementary. I use the text editor not to have a bigger window, but to have bigger text. I also change it from black to dark gray, to reduce contrast.

So, please keep it that way :)

Of course, a resizable window on top of a zoom text editor, why not. Personally, I don't care for this feature, but other may. Or maybe a preference to choose which one one prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
Is there any chance we will get resizable textareas like in Safari, rather than (or in addition to) the zoomed text editor? I love the resizable textareas, and they are far more elegant than the zoomed text editor IMO.
Perhaps they are more elegant, but for longer passages of text I much prefer the zoomed text editor. I've run out of real estate before using Safari with the resizable text area. Well, at least there will be a choice so all parties will be satisfied.

Thanks, OG.

This is the exact tip I needed; omniweb is now leaps & bounds ahead of any other browser I've used. Thanks!

-- Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
Looks like builds after r89238 will enable resizable textareas with this default command in the terminal:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 ShowResizableTextAreas -bool true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahg View Post
This is the exact tip I needed; omniweb is now leaps & bounds ahead of any other browser I've used. Thanks!

-- Sarah
Yes indeed it is. However someone here reported the feature showing up in a sneakypeak, which is strange because used most SP's and this never showed up for me and it still is not available in 5.8 until I added the preference to the plist.