The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iBank 3 as on-line/iPhone model Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The new iBank 3 has iPhone and web based features I wish OmniGroup would integrate into OmniFocus. It is all based on synchronization via .mac. I haven't used the product but I read about it on their site (http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank) They say:

We delivered a solution for editing your transactions on the road, using your iPhone or iPod Touch. Using the latest Web 2.0 technologies you can view historical transactions and create and edit new ones while you're on the go. To sync your data to .Mac, it's just one click from within iBank. .Mac membership is required..

OmniGroup should adapt the OmniFocus web app they started developing to work with .mac in this manner.

Additionally, with iBank you can view your portfolio on-line via .mac. They say:

Upload your portfolios to your .Mac account from iBank and view your securities' performance from any web browser (including your iPhone and iPod Touch, of course).

Again, this would be a great feature in OmniFocus. Imagine having access to your tasks from any browser.

This is exactly what OmniFocus needs now. Waiting for the iPhone SDK means it will be months (at best) before we iPhone users can have OmniFocus in our pockets. But this type of .mac based functionality could go beyond the iPhone to anyone with a browser and web access so the customer base would be larger which would mean more money (I'd pay a few extra bucks for this feature). Since it would be on .mac OmniGroup would not have to worry about doing any hosting.

OmniGroup: Please stop waiting for the iPhone SDK and help your mobile customers now. Use iBank 3 as a model of function so we can start using it soon instead of months from now.

I wonder how they've implemented editing transactions via the web on .Mac? As far as I know, .Mac doesn't support server-side scripting languages and client-based JavaScript can't write to a file on the server by itself. So how does this work? Any web developers have an idea?

From their site:
"iPhone support: Enter transactions on the go with our iPhone companion application, available as a free download."

Does that 'companion application' mean an actual application on the iPhone, that you have to jailbreak your iPhone?