The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Merging two macs OFocii Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry to be such a newb, I need to move the contents of a machine I am losing to one that already has OF well-populated on it. I thought to save it as an OmniFocus document, but when I move the file it is greyed out on the new machine and I am stuck.

Source:

Intel, Snow Leopard, OF 1.10.13

Target

Intel, Lion, OF 1.10.13

I see a lot about synching to cloud, but that's not an option for me unless I have our IT person audit your security first.

Is there just some simple way I can do it by transferring a file?

THANKS!

BS

The main data file is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus.
If you also want your preferences, those are in ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.omnifocus.plist.
If you don't have valuable data in OmniFocus on the Lion machine already, you can simply put these files in the same place on that machine and you should be all set to go.

If you do actually have OmniFocus data in both places and need to merge them, it's a little more work.
1) Grab the OmniFocus.ofocus as mentioned above, but do NOT put it in that folder on the Lion machine. Rename it something like SnowLeopard.ofocus so you can be sure to tell the two apart.
2) On the Lion machine, double-click SnowLeopard.ofocus. It should open in OmniFocus, but in a separate window from your main database.
3) Now you can drag-n-drop any projects you need from this database into the window of your main database and organize them as you like.

If you run into any troubles, please feel free to email or call us directly: omnifocus@omnigroup.com or 1 (800) 315-6664 or 1 (206) 523-4152