The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OMNI: Mac version clobbering iPhone changes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni Response:

This has been filed internally at Omni as:
<bug://bugs/48521> ([need repro] Some changes sync and some don't (especially completing actions))

If you are also experiencing this issue please
Email OmniFocus Support
Many of you have been posting about making changes on your iPhone, and then when syncing with your desktop, seeing your changes get overwritten.

There are few things that might explain this, a few things that might help you out, and some things we need to know to be able to debug this, and make it work better for you.

What might explain this

1. Your iPhone didn't get a chance to sync.

If you made a change, and then turned OmniFocus off, it wouldn't have had a chance to push its updates to the server. OmniFocus for iPhone knows to sync on launch, but since it can get killed with very little notice it doesn't always get a chance to sync.

Try pressing the sync button on the phone before firing up your desktop version.

There may still be issues, we're working on it. We have a bug. Its has many eyes and hands on it.

2. Make sure that if you're using MobileMe, you're using MobileMe and not generic WebDAV to point at your iDisk.

That will cause issues, just have both use the MobileMe settings.

-----------------

This is a top concern for us. If you can get a case that is reproducible let us know and it'll help us out, and get a fix out faster.

Just a point of clarification: Lizard mentioned in another recent forum post that Bug 48521 referred to a different (albeit similar) sync problem that I've been having, and I'm not sure if you're tracking both problems on the same bug number, but I'm not sure if my sync issue has anything to do with the iPhone.

In a nutshel this is what is happening to me:

1. I edit my omnifocus database during the day on my work computer
2. before leaving I sync one final time to the server
3. I fire up omnifocus on my iPhone and see all of my most recent changes

then the trouble begins...

4. I arrive home and open up omnifocus on my home computer
5. it performs a sync but only some of the changes made on my work PC during the day sync back to my home computer
6. I open up my iPhone again and it is now displaying the incomplete database from my home computer (rather than the correct database that it showed before I left the office).

This may have something to do with the iPhone app, but it may not. So there could be more than one bug at issue here.

Yes, it's very likely the same issue. It's really any 2 machines, iPhone or no. The iPhone just makes it more common because users are more likely to quit it right after making changes, without syncing. Here's the explanation I just posted on another thread:

If you make changes to the same task on two machines at the same time* then only the change from one of those machines will be kept. And changing the order counts as a change on pretty much every task in the project. (And marking off a repeating action changes the order of the other actions in the project, so it's also pretty troublesome.)

*By "same time" I mean that machine 1 pushes a change to the server and machine 2 doesn't get that change before making its own changes. So it's a lot more common than "same time" suggests.