The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How do you use flags? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I wonder how do you people use "flagged" option in the application? It's not a part of GTD system, AFAIK.
I tried to flag "very important" tasks, but it quickly gets out of control, depending on my opinion on "very important" at a particular moment :)

Any advices are appreciated.

Well, "importance" isn't GTD at all so I have never been about giving my tasks priority or flagging not sure I would do this in OmniFocus either.

I use them in Mail so I can quickly go through a 100+ emails, flag the ones I need to deal with and get to Inbox Zero (I use smart folders).

BZ

I've been using flags to mark my most important tasks for the day. I limit them to what I can reasonably get done during the day and still have time for doing other tasks. The next morning I review them and choose a new set of most important tasks. (Leo at Zen Habits has a good post on the concept of daily most important tasks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
I've been using flags to mark my most important tasks for the day. I limit them to what I can reasonably get done during the day and still have time for doing other tasks. The next morning I review them and choose a new set of most important tasks. (Leo at Zen Habits has a good post on the concept of daily most important tasks.)
Thanks, great link! Never saw this site before... lot's of interesting stuff there. Diving in :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
I would love to use the flags for my MITs (I love that article) but the Flagged view shows all the tasks (completed, next, available, remaining, etc). I wish that Flagged view wasn't in the same filter option as the rest of them, but instead was a checkbox on the edge of the filter ribbon (or something along those lines). That way I can view all my available tasks, or all my flagged available tasks. I Sent Feedback about this a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fideli
I would love to use the flags for my MITs (I love that article) but the Flagged view shows all the tasks (completed, next, available, remaining, etc). I wish that Flagged view wasn't in the same filter option as the rest of them, but instead was a checkbox on the edge of the filter ribbon (or something along those lines). That way I can view all my available tasks, or all my flagged available tasks. I Sent Feedback about this a few days ago.
I agree that the placement of the "Flagged" filter is not intuitive. I would have expected it (and I think it would be more easily used) in the grouping or sorting filters to the left.

I see your point. Since I use flags as a kind of super-next-action, it's easy enough for me to check off a task and then turn off the flag. But if you use them for something else, it might make sense to have it as a grouping or sorting option.

i use flags like several people here, like brianogilvie's "super-next-action". what i really wish is that when you select "show flagged items" that you don't see completed items. IMHO completed actions should only be seen if you select "show completed actions"

Last edited by spnyc; 2007-06-25 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo

I've been using the flag for my daily check list as well and I agree that the filtering options stink. The filter bar is a cute idea but this issue highlights it's real weakness as compared to a smart folder type solution, namely multiple criteria. Perhaps if they put a little "+" button at the end which you could click to add multiple levels of filtering then maybe that would solve it so that you could say filter by available AND then by flagged or any other set of complex criteria you choose. But then it would become even more of a hassle to keep recreating the filtering system you need for a particular view. Perspectives may sort this out but they're nowhere near there yet. It seems like the developers are jumping through quite a few hoops to come up with an alternate metaphor for the well developed smart folder concept which many people are already using effectively in other programs. I wonder why that is.

Last edited by whalt; 2007-06-25 at 04:29 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalt
I've been using the flag for my daily check list as well and I agree that the filtering options stink. The filter bar is a cute idea but this issue highlights it's real weakness as compared to a smart folder type solution, namely multiple criteria. Perhaps if they put a little "+" button at the end which you could click to add multiple levels of filtering then maybe that would solve it so that you could say filter by available AND then by flagged or any other set of complex criteria you choose. But then it would become even more of a hassle to keep recreating the filtering system you need for a particular view.
What if the drop-downs in the filter let you command-click to select multiple criteria? That would be quite powerful and likely very easy to use. (I actually just tried it to see if the Omni wizards had already snuck that in. No dice...yet.)

Curt