The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

urgent: corrupted document will not open! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hello all,

i was working on a document when my computer froze, but after restarting the document refuses to open and i get this error message:

"The document “tax outline.oo3” could not be opened."

can anyone help?? this document is super important; it's a 40-page summary of my entire semester's worth of law school notes for this one particular class, i've poured a ton of hours into it, and my final is on tuesday. i've uploaded a zipped version of the document onto my webspace here:

www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~silas/public/tax outline.oo3.zip

if ANYONE knows a way to salvage it i would be really grateful!! i have no idea what do to right now...

Bad news, I fear -- the file you uploaded is only about 100 kilobytes, which isn't a whole lot of characters for a 40 page outline! You don't have any sort of backup available of a recent version? In between tearing out handfuls of your remaining hair, go to http://mozy.com/ and sign yourself up for a free 2 GB account and start it backing up the rest of your documents. Or even just grab yourself a USB flash drive at the bookstore. My philosophy: you only have to back up the files you want to read...

Did anything unusual happen between the last time you were able to view the file successfully and the first time it wouldn't open?

I'd really like to save the day for you here, but I think my mojo isn't quite up to the task at hand :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by limsilas View Post
hello all,
i was working on a document when my computer froze, but after restarting the document refuses to open and i get this error message:
not a single backup available? Not even Time Machine activated?

You should also repeat your cry for help with Help->Send Feedback inside OmniOutliner, and try calling Omni first thing Monday morning (+1 800-315-OMNI x0) and even though they don't do phone tech support, perhaps you can arrange to have someone to look at your problem right away given the dire situation...