The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Keyboard shortcut for "Edit note" changed with 1.1? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlOrange View Post
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.

Unfortunately, my muscle memory is hard to re-train. Is there a way I can re-train OmniFocus to use my old shortcut? Thanks!

(Bonus question: Does anyone know why this shortcut changed?)
This got me too - muscle memory is a potent thing.

-P
 
See the release notes, or Ken's post here.

I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlOrange View Post
I recently upgraded to 1.1, and noticed that "enter" (not "return") no longer is the shortcut for "Edit note," as it once was. It seems the new shortcut is command-apostrophe.
I could have sworn Command-' was the key combo for editing notes all along; or at least that's the shortcut that was displayed to the right of the menu option.

So it's not like Enter was the shortcut, but rather a shortcut for editing notes. :)

To be honest, I didn't even know the Enter key could be used to edit notes. I'd always used Command-'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I don't know the answer to the bonus question, but suspect it might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing.
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.

From reading the release notes, I got the impression that mention of the Escape key was not directly related to the Enter key, but rather that the use of Escape might be "phased out" in a future release. So OG is providing a hidden default to allow us to get used to the change ahead of time.

Incidentally, one nice side-effect of using that new default to turn off exiting from edit mode with Escape is that now the Escape key can be used for word auto-completion (standard for most OS X text views). Formerly, you had to resort to using F5.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-14 at 12:58 PM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm confused. Did the Escape key not work if you opened a note with the Enter key? AFAIK, it has always worked as a way to exit from editing a note when the note was opened with with Command-' shortcut.
I'm confusing. :-)

I didn't finish my sentence. I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I meant to say that I suspect the change might be a reaction to confusion where users expect Escape to cancel editing and Enter to confirm it.
Okay, that makes sense. That actually occurred to me about 15 minutes after I posted and saw something similar mentioned in another thread. But thanks for clarifying.

-Dennis
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Set keyboard shortcut to "reload all tabs"? mbert OmniWeb General 1 2012-09-25 11:22 PM
Mail's "Send to OmniFocus" keyboard shortcut broken tjfallis@blackrockmarketi OmniFocus 1 for Mac 7 2012-02-11 12:25 AM
Toggle "Inspector palette" with keyboard shortcut roadtrip OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2010-06-27 04:39 AM
Easy way to jump to Project from Context? [A: "Switch" button or keyboard shortcut] email68 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2010-03-24 02:10 PM
Shortcut Key for "Expand Note" EFaden OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2009-09-25 12:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.