The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Checkboxes on right instead of left! Annoying! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
This creates an issue since the right most area is typically where a user scrolls when perusing long lists.
It's safe to scroll by swiping vertically over any portion of the row, whether or not there's a checkbox. Checkboxes will only interpret your finger's gesture as a tap if you place it and lift it again without moving it in between.

Quote:
I sometimes accidentally tick off a Task because of this, and I generally don't remember what it was since the item disappears so quickly.
Any time you change your mind about a change you just made (whether it was an intentional change or just an accident as in this case), you can tap on the "Undo" button up in the toolbar to get back to your previous state. (As long as your changes haven't synchronized yet, you can Undo the last 20 changes or so. If you Undo too much, you can also hold-press on the Undo button to get a menu which includes the option to Redo changes.)

Hope this helps!

I use my thumb to scroll in the margins at times and thus is generally when the erroneous ticking of the check box occurs. It's an oversite in the UI design in my opinion. Why do I have to select Undo when I accidentally hit the check mark? That's like telling me to click undo each time I misspell a word on the iPhone. ;^)

I still think the check boxes should be on the left hand side as generally Check Boxes precede a Task in most Roman languages. It's just an odd placement without much justification. I guess you just thought it was 'neat' to do. ;^)

Why not do it on the iPhone and Desktop client then? It could be a part of your new look and feel and optimized workflow for GTD.

Oh well...what's done is done. I remind myself sometimes that someone did design the Pacer. ;^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
I still think the check boxes should be on the left hand side as generally Check Boxes precede a Task in most Roman languages. It's just an odd placement without much justification. I guess you just thought it was 'neat' to do. ;^)
It also puts them right beneath the tool for collapsing and expanding projects and folders. Very handy, and the placement doesn't vary if you switch between portrait and landscape. If you have trouble reaching a non-checkbox area to scroll with your thumb now, there's no possibility you'd be able to check things off with your thumb with the boxes on the left side as you propose.
Quote:
Why not do it on the iPhone and Desktop client then? It could be a part of your new look and feel and optimized workflow for GTD.
You hold yourself out as a UI designer, let's see your sketch of how the iPhone UI would look if your proposal was adopted. Right now, that space where you propose parking the checkbox is occupied...

Personally I think the placement on the right is spot on.

I like the way it lets me read all the items and check them off without my hand obscuring the view of the screen, which obviously it would if the checkbox was on the left. On a desktop with a mouse pointer that's not an issue but on the pad it certainly would be. Just try emulating how that would work now and you'll soon see your hand is always in the way of what you're trying to read.

I can honestly say I've never accidentally checked off an item when scrolling and having just tried to replicate that I really can't see how that can happen as you do very definitely need a specific tap/remove of your finger without moving to check an item off. If your finger moves then it always scrolls without checking the item even if you're dead centre in the checkbox.

I really can't see a problem there at all.

Sure i'll take a few hours over the next week to redesign a single project view on all three platforms if it will satisfy your criticisms.

Nah, a quick sketch of how you would put the existing elements of a row on the iPhone with the checkbox on the right is all I requested. If you don't have an answer to such an obvious issue, why did you suggest the change? Right, it wasn't a serious proposal, because doing so on the iPhone makes no sense.

What a novel concept, an interface tailored to the characteristics of the device....of course running OmniFocus for iPhone on the iPad gives full backward UI compatability, if that is most important :)

Nevermind. Like I said what's done is done. I think it's odd. Others think it ideal. One mans wine is another mans vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Personally I think the placement on the right is spot on.

I like the way it lets me read all the items and check them off without my hand obscuring the view of the screen, which obviously it would if the checkbox was on the left. On a desktop with a mouse pointer that's not an issue but on the pad it certainly would be. Just try emulating how that would work now and you'll soon see your hand is always in the way of what you're trying to read.

I can honestly say I've never accidentally checked off an item when scrolling and having just tried to replicate that I really can't see how that can happen as you do very definitely need a specific tap/remove of your finger without moving to check an item off. If your finger moves then it always scrolls without checking the item even if you're dead centre in the checkbox.

I really can't see a problem there at all.
I agree. I like the checkbox is not on the left. I can now scan down the my outline or tasks without having to adjust having the checkbox on the left. It's makes my quick scans a lot easier.

As far as the right thumb, I really don't see this at all. I typically don't scroll with my right thumb, but I just tried it for a few minutes, and I'm not sure how you are holding your iPad, but even with my small hand (I wear man's small cadet golf glove size), my thumb was always in the middle of the outline, not where the checkboxes are, and in order for me to check the box, I have to adjust my thumb to do that. So, accidental touch doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

As I stated earlier, I like the iPad UI the best of all three, and I hope other versions might migrate more, but given the different screen size and input devices, I am not sure making the interface the same is the best choice any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Nah, a quick sketch of how you would put the existing elements of a row on the iPhone with the checkbox on the right is all I requested. If you don't have an answer to such an obvious issue, why did you suggest the change? Right, it wasn't a serious proposal, because doing so on the iPhone makes no sense.

What a novel concept, an interface tailored to the characteristics of the device....of course running OmniFocus for iPhone on the iPad gives full backward UI compatability, if that is most important :)
Wow. God forbid someone have a criticism of OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Wow. God forbid someone have a criticism of OmniFocus.
Any of the support ninjas that handle OmniFocus mail will tell you that I'm not shy about criticizing OmniFocus when there is good cause to do so, and even sometimes when there isn't :) I also routinely remind people with whom I disagree how to best get their opinions heard by Omni.

This is a discussion forum, not an agreement forum. People who want their voices heard, unchallenged, can easily contact Omni directly. Don't like it if someone points out a flaw in your argument? Make a better argument!