The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The "inbox" and "quick entry" buttons really annoy me! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post

Sorry, this was the image I originally intended to post. Oh come on, this doesn't look good! And it is constantly in your face.
OK, I see what you mean, and although it's not a huge bother to me, I tend to agree.

To be honest, I really hadn't even thought about it until you raised it in this thread. Now it's practically leaping off the page!

Can't say it really bothers me that much though, plenty of other tweaks which would be much higher priority.

Quote:

Sorry, this was the image I originally intended to post. Oh come on, this doesn't look good! And it is constantly in your face.
Thanks for the feedback, folks - I did want to point out that you can rotate your iPad to portrait to keep this particular bit of UI out of your way until you need it.

Of course if you feel strongly about this and would like to propose a change, we're happy to receive your feedback - just send it to us ninjas and we be sure it gets filed where our UI team can see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Thanks for the feedback, folks - I did want to point out that you can rotate your iPad to portrait to keep this particular bit of UI out of your way until you need it.

Of course if you feel strongly about this and would like to propose a change, we're happy to receive your feedback - just send it to us ninjas and we be sure it gets filed where our UI team can see it.
Haha, that's some answer. Rotate it into portrait and you won't see it anymore? That's almost like admitting it's ugly. Furthmore, when you need tp input actions, you'll run into it again.

Why doesn't omnigroup just use the iPhone icons? Or hire a developer with some good taste to give OF for iPad a bit of a facelift?

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but my criticism comes from a place of love. I have higher standards for Omnigroup! This is one of the centralized elements in your GUI, and it's pretty hard to debate that it is anything other than a bit sloppy. Most people will either say they don't like it, or that it doesn't bother them, but I doubt few would say "hey, I like the inconsistent, generic look of these icons "

Look at your competitors Omnigroup. Your app may be the most functional, but theirs are much more visually appealing (a stunning todo). And by adding a few features here or there, theirs will become better looking, cheaper, ad eventually as functional.

I love OF for iPhone and Mac, and I expect better out of OF for iPad! These icons are just sloppy. Please fix them (I'll forward this to your ninja email

Last edited by doodiebrad; 2010-10-22 at 07:07 AM..

Quote:
Haha, that's some answer. Rotate it into portrait and you won't see it anymore? That's almost like admitting it's ugly. Furthmore, when you need tp input actions, you'll run into it again.
It's a practical answer aimed at people who have difficulty overlooking such things. You can stop looking at it immediately. You will not be able to get a new icon in less than two weeks even if they wanted to drop everything and change it, because that is about how long it would take to get the build through the App Store approval process.
Quote:

Why doesn't omnigroup just use the iPhone icons? Or hire a developer with some good taste to give OF for iPad a bit of a facelift?
De gustibus non disputandum est. As far as I know, the same gent designed both sets of icons...
Quote:

Look at your competitors Omnigroup. Your app may be the most functional, but theirs are much more visually appealing (a stunning todo). And by adding a few features here or there, theirs will become better looking, cheaper, ad eventually as functional.
Uh, right, because as we all know, it will be much harder for Omni to tune up the icons than it will be for Things to add cloud sync :)

Quote:
Uh, right, because as we all know, it will be much harder for Omni to tune up the icons than it will be for Things to add cloud sync :)

The difference is that Things admits that it is activly working on cloud sync, but Omnigroup seems to be under some sort of delusion that OF for iPad is beautiful and polished.

I'm an OF user, and say what you want about Things, but they don't have big huge icons that are inconsistent and askew. In time, other platforms will add features, and will eventually be on parity with OF for iPad. But if people like me don't point out esthetic flaws, then I'm not sure Omnigroup will recognize that they exist?

IMO, before adding ANY new features, Omnigroup needs to refine the esthetics of the GUI, starting with these two icons

Last edited by doodiebrad; 2010-10-22 at 08:25 AM..

I personally like the new icons. So fair enough if you don't like them, but there are those that do.

As for Things and cloud sync, well that's just hopeless ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgallant View Post
I personally like the new icons. So fair enough if you don't like them, but there are those that do.

As for Things and cloud sync, well that's just hopeless ;)
Some people liked disco :D ...jk..hehe

Quote:
Most people will either say they don't like it, or that it doesn't bother them, but I doubt few would say "hey, I like the inconsistent, generic look of these icons "
I know how irksome the small things can be when you're using a piece of software; I do sympathize.

However, aside from this thread, we've gotten basically zero feedback about this part of the UI. In fact, the vast majority of the feedback is simply "the iPad app is great, please make the other apps more like it". Looking at the emails about suggested changes to the UI, these buttons aren't anywhere on that list.

It appears that, for the vast majority of customers, these buttons are working just fine for them as they are. When that's the case, spending time on something like this would be a disservice to them.

I know this bothers you individually, and I am really sorry about that; sometimes it can be painful to be an outlier. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I know how irksome the small things can be when you're using a piece of software; I do sympathize.

However, aside from this thread, we've gotten basically zero feedback about this part of the UI. In fact, the vast majority of the feedback is simply "the iPad app is great, please make the other apps more like it". Looking at the emails about suggested changes to the UI, these buttons aren't anywhere on that list.

It appears that, for the vast majority of customers, these buttons are working just fine for them as they are. When that's the case, spending time on something like this would be a disservice to them.

I know this bothers you individually, and I am really sorry about that; sometimes it can be painful to be an outlier. :-)
Sometimes "the masses" aren't always right. When you spend $40 on an app, you tend to want to see past its flaws and like it more to justify your purchase.

If Steve Jobs listened to "the masses," than our macs would still have floppy drives and our iPads would run adobe flash (and have a 2 hour battery life). The masses don't ALWAYS know what's best.

Taste may be subjective, and if you think this looks good, then by all means don't change it! You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink (and my earlier post was about how I think Omnigroup truly believes that OF for iPad is polished and attractive)

I just happen to like This:

and this:

more than this:

But hey, it's your product! You should be wanting to polish it, not me!