The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, I was one of those anxiously awaiting OmniFocus for the iPad. I have the Mac and iPhone versions. I use them a lot. I was excited to expand my use to my iPad, since I use it for much of my day-to-day work, and having it for maintaining my projects and tasks makes great sense.

But, the price point was high enough that I haven't bought it, yet. I might, but I'm seriously reconsidering my investment in OmniFocus, and I've very disappointed that there wasn't some kind of a 2 or 3 day introductory period when we could purchase it for a more reasonable investment of $15-$20.

Yes, in the grand scheme of life, $40 isn't a huge investment. However, when added to the $20 for OmniFocus iPhone, and $80 for the Mac, it's a little stratospheric. (Not to mention all of my other OmniGroup products!)

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like you're milking loyalty. And now I'm very torn.

To each his own. Personally, I would have gladly plunked down $80 for this app. I've been beta testing it for the past month and use the iPad app more than the Mac version now. It's not an exaggeration to say that OF iPad has more than doubled the value of my iPad to me.

Omni charges what they believe their apps are worth to their users. To me, the money I've spent on Omni products over the years has never been a bad investment. My productivity gains completely swamp the cost of the products.

Curt

If $40 is a lot you probably don't need Omnifocus for the iPad.

It's interesting to read about how people relate to the money thing. I guess everyone is in a different financial place or perhaps it's perceived value that is at the root of the issue.

Regardless, to accuse Omni Group of "milking" their customer base is wrong. People need to stop whining and take responsibility for their financial condition.

To those who feel victimized by OG here's a primer on capitalism. They have every right to charge anything they want. It's a market place. If you don't want to pay or can't pay, go somewhere else and buy another product that works within your budget.

My word, it sounds like you're addicted to OG's software.

Last edited by zoom; 2010-07-30 at 09:42 AM..

Yes, I thought the price was too high, too... But then I realized that if it saves me an hour of my time, it will already have paid for itself.

$40 is not to much to pay for a tool that helps you become more efficient. Before OF I used to procrastinate a lot at work, and spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what I should do next. Then I purchased OF, read the GTD book, and probably gained at least an hour of productive time per day. Looking at it that way, it pays for itself in a very, very short time. There are other apps out there that can be used, and do offer some improvements in your workflow, including a simple paper list. But none can match the effectiveness of OF.

I would have paid a lot more for this if OG had decided on a higher price. But, I think they got it right in the range it belongs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Ok, I was one of those anxiously awaiting OmniFocus for the iPad. I have the Mac and iPhone versions. I use them a lot. I was excited to expand my use to my iPad, since I use it for much of my day-to-day work, and having it for maintaining my projects and tasks makes great sense.

But, the price point was high enough that I haven't bought it, yet. I might, but I'm seriously reconsidering my investment in OmniFocus, and I've very disappointed that there wasn't some kind of a 2 or 3 day introductory period when we could purchase it for a more reasonable investment of $15-$20.

Yes, in the grand scheme of life, $40 isn't a huge investment. However, when added to the $20 for OmniFocus iPhone, and $80 for the Mac, it's a little stratospheric. (Not to mention all of my other OmniGroup products!)

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like you're milking loyalty. And now I'm very torn.
Look, if you bought your favorite movie as a VHS tape eons ago, then as a DVD, and now you just bought a Blu-Ray player, does the studio owe you a discount on a Blu-Ray disc of that title? If you bought a succession of cars from the same manufacturer, do they give you a half off deal if you buy in the first few days of the new model year? Omni does give a big trade-in allowance when you move to the next major version, and none of this business of penalizing people who don't buy every version, either.

Turn the situation around — you're a developer, and you put a whole lot of work and money into building a new version of your app for a new platform. Your customers demand that you give them that new software for little or nothing despite your large investment (an investment, I might add, that could be arbitrarily wiped out by Apple deciding not to approve the final product). Aren't they milking your loyalty to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
To each his own. Personally, I would have gladly plunked down $80 for this app. I've been beta testing it for the past month and use the iPad app more than the Mac version now. It's not an exaggeration to say that OF iPad has more than doubled the value of my iPad to me.

Omni charges what they believe their apps are worth to their users. To me, the money I've spent on Omni products over the years has never been a bad investment. My productivity gains completely swamp the cost of the products.
N ffnc, bt f y'v bn bt tstng ths pp fr ver mnth, y hvn't rlly dn vry gd jb (IMH).

Try going to projects view create a dummy action. Then delete the action by swiping the action to the right. The big red delete button covers about 25% of the date in the same table cell. Yeah, it's not breaking the application or anything... It's just sloppy.

If I'm paying 40 bucks for an application in iTunes, I would expect it to be of far superior quality than the bulk of other offerings, which about 95% of them sell in the region of $1 to $4.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: disemvowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
N ffnc, bt f y'v bn bt tstng ths pp fr vr mnth, yu hvn't rlly dn vry gd jb (IMH).

Try going to projects view create a dummy action. Then delete the action by swiping the action to the right. The big red delete button covers about 25% of the date in the same table cell. Yeah, it's not breaking the application or anything... It's just sloppy.
How do you know Curt didn't report that very issue? You might have noticed that there was a fair amount of pressure to ship the app ASAP. They didn't work the bug list to 0 before submitting to the App Store, and certainly didn't work the cosmetic enhancement list to 0!

f y tll s th nm f yr prdct(s), w'll b gld t chck t th xmpl y'v st, myb w cn lrn hw t s sppsd t b dn!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: disemvowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Look, if you bought your favorite movie as a VHS tape eons ago, then as a DVD, and now you just bought a Blu-Ray player, does the studio owe you a discount on a Blu-Ray disc of that title? If you bought a succession of cars from the same manufacturer, do they give you a half off deal if you buy in the first few days of the new model year? Omni does give a big trade-in allowance when you move to the next major version, and none of this business of penalizing people who don't buy every version, either.

Turn the situation around — you're a developer, and you put a whole lot of work and money into building a new version of your app for a new platform. Your customers demand that you give them that new software for little or nothing despite your large investment (an investment, I might add, that could be arbitrarily wiped out by Apple deciding not to approve the final product). Aren't they milking your loyalty to them?
Guess what?

I am a developer (actually in the business and design side these days rather than writing code) and understand the Apple iOS ecosystem better than most. My suspicion is that OmniFocus would likely dramatically increase their revenues by lowering the per-purchase cost of the app. Impulse buying is a big part of the App Store, and $40 is way above the typical willing impulse buy.

I completely agree that they can charge whatever they want. I also think that they may like to know that at least some of their loyal customers find the pricing out of line. I do. As I said in my post, I may very well spring for the app, but the mixed reviews are not leading me to jump on it today. Had OG offered a "fans" discount for the first few days, I'd already have it on my iPad. Reading the forums, I'm not alone.

Since I already use OF on my other devices, I have to decide if the new iPad app is really a leap for me. Does it buy me enough that I don't already have available with the combination of iPhone and Mac apps? That's unclear. Certainly, the beta users really liked it, but they are more "bought in" than those who didn't have that benefit.

As I said, $40 won't break the bank, but it does give me pause. I am sure I'm not alone. As a result, given that the incremental cost to OG of selling another copy of OF is effectively $0, I am arguing that their revenue and gross profit would benefit from a lower price.

Given their pricing on other products, however, I suspect they don't see it that way. I still don't have Graffle on my iPad for that reason. As with everything, YMMV. But don't jump to conclusions about my "financial state" just because I actually work through this process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How do you know Curt didn't report that very issue? You might have noticed that there was a fair amount of pressure to ship the app ASAP. They didn't work the bug list to 0 before submitting to the App Store, and certainly didn't work the cosmetic enhancement list to 0!

f y tll s th nm f yr prdct(s), w'll b gld t chck t th xmpl y'v st, myb w cn lrn hw t s sppsd t b dn!
Errrm... OmniFocus for iPhone.

Also... See my edit above.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 10:51 AM..