The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can OF 1.8 use Mac text substitution? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hate having to type long or common text snippets. I have started using the Mac universal text substitution feature, but I can't get it to work in OF 1.8. Does it work? Is there a switch to make this work?

Thanks, David

The relevant section of the Mac help file (setting text preferences) does refer to 'text substitution', but suggests that this is a feature of a particular subset of Apple's own applications.

(I'm afraid that the only reference which I could see to 'universal text substitution' in the pages currently indexed by Google turned out to be your post :-)

The only third-party text expander which I have personally used with OF is TextExpander, which seems to be working fine.

It might also be worth looking at this article.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-09-17 at 12:57 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
The only third-party text expander which I have personally used with OF is TextExpander, which seems to be working fine.
I'm a big fan of TextExpander too. I've got loads of macros set up for all sorts of things, it's well worth the asking price.

Another that works is the venerable TypeIt4Me which was one of the first ever system-wide text expanders on any platform.

Personally, I found TypeIt4Me to be much more reliable and easier to use when I last trialled TextExpander many moons ago, but TextExpander does have one feature now that TypeIt4Me lacks and that is synching across devices (fwiw, the iPhone version of TE also appears to have better support in other iPhone apps).

P.S. I have been using TypeIt4Me since Mac OS 7.5 so that is possibly why I find it easier.