The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Checkboxes on right instead of left! Annoying! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omnifocus for Mac: Checkboxes on left of text
Omnifocus for iPhone: Checkboxes on left of text
Omnifocs for iPad: Checkboxes on right of text.

Why? Was this a conscious decision? or just an annoying oversight? Be honest.

Are you guys working on some fixes so you can take OF for iPad to the next level already? I own all three versions, and it is my LEAST favorite to use. There are so many inconsistencies, and simple things like adding new actions are overly cumbersome.

Conscious decision. The checkboxes are always at the same spot, no matter the indentation level. There aren't any columns to the right (just the flags in the gutter), so that's a good spot for the checkboxes. It wouldn't be on the desktop, and the iPhone/iPod touch version doesn't show a full view of indented projects, only a level at a time.

So eager to bust balls he didn't even appreciate that the checkboxes on the iPad are in reach of his thumbs.

They're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Conscious decision. The checkboxes are always at the same spot, no matter the indentation level. There aren't any columns to the right (just the flags in the gutter), so that's a good spot for the checkboxes. It wouldn't be on the desktop, and the iPhone/iPod touch version doesn't show a full view of indented projects, only a level at a time.
Gotcha, I'm a pretty big fan of continuity. I can't help feel like a lot of things on the OF for iPad versions were done in order to compensate for this or tacked on for that as opposed to implementing one cohesive vision.

Sorry to be such a harsh critic, I'm a huge GTDr and an OF user for life (all three versions), I just had such higher hopes for the iPad version. The little things, like how the input box bounces around, and how hard it is to move items, and how many taps it takes to add actions, and how much wasted space there is (can't change font), these all add up to a mediocre experience. If it wasn't for such seamless syncing, I wouldn't use OF for iPad.

All I want to know is are MAJOR changes in the works? Have you guys been listening to the complaints? Are you working to pick off these negatives one by one and created a more streamlined experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
So eager to bust balls he didn't even appreciate that the checkboxes on the iPad are in reach of his thumbs.

They're perfect.
Most of the time I hold my iPad in portrait with two hands. If they were on the left side, they'd be in line with my left thumbs. Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
I can't help feel like a lot of things on the OF for iPad versions were done in order to compensate for this or tacked on for that as opposed to implementing one cohesive vision.
Oddly enough, some of us feel like the iPad is the first place where they were able to get some things right :) Except for tasks that are Applescript assisted, or where having multiple windows is a big win, or being able to select multiple items and operate on them simultaneously, I generally prefer the iPad to the desktop, and both to the iPod/iPhone. I don't think I'm alone in this viewpoint, but that doesn't make yours wrong, of course.

Quote:
All I want to know is are MAJOR changes in the works? Have you guys been listening to the complaints? Are you working to pick off these negatives one by one and created a more streamlined experience?
Incremental changes so far, I'd say, but welcome. The @#$@# bouncing input box has been largely tamed, there's a back to home button, easier access to the drag and drop editor, etc.

I've never known Omni not to listen to complaints, but sometimes the changes don't come as quickly as one might like. Be sure to use Contact Omni to send in your laundry list of changes you want to see.

There are some changes coming up, but no major ones. If anything, the most common feedback we're getting is that folks want the Mac app made more like the iPad one.

Checkboxes are on the right because in landscape orientation, the sidebar appears on the left side. With them on the right, they're always thumb-accessible.

I much prefer the check boxes on the right, but in the end it's a personal preference. In the western world, we work left to right and to me it seems more natural to have the conclusion of an action on the right.

The Ipad version is the first one I bought, and I have since added the iPhone app. It does take too many clicks to move projects and the like, however it's version 1 on a new form factor and it's a damn good start, but I'm sure that omni know they can make improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
Omnifocus for Mac: Checkboxes on left of text
Omnifocus for iPhone: Checkboxes on left of text
Omnifocs for iPad: Checkboxes on right of text.

Why? Was this a conscious decision? or just an annoying oversight? Be honest.

Are you guys working on some fixes so you can take OF for iPad to the next level already? I own all three versions, and it is my LEAST favorite to use. There are so many inconsistencies, and simple things like adding new actions are overly cumbersome.
There are some changes I anticipate in 1.1 & 1.2, I don't see the major UI changes. I hate to bring an opposing point, but I think the iPad version is the best UI of all three. I use the iPad version most often. The only time I use the Mac version is when I have to do bulk changes and import email into OF. Other than that, I'm constantly using the iPad since I prefer its UI over the others including how the reviews are set up.

If anything I think the trend might be the other platform will get something similar to iPad UI than the other way around. I think at some point, all computing devices will be touch driven, and looking at the patents filed by Apple, I think they are moving in that direction as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There are some changes coming up, but no major ones. If anything, the most common feedback we're getting is that folks want the Mac app made more like the iPad one.

Checkboxes are on the right because in landscape orientation, the sidebar appears on the left side. With them on the right, they're always thumb-accessible.
This creates an issue since the right most area is typically where a user scrolls when perusing long lists. I sometimes accidentally tick off a Task because of this, and I generally don't remember what it was since the item disappears so quickly.

From a usability stand point I would keep the Check Boxes to the left of the Task title in order to avoid this issue.