The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location Reminder on the Mac version is missing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to set locations to certain contexts from the Mac application, not only from the iOS apps. Is this possible?

How do you feel about editing XML files by hand? :-)

It's not terribly difficult to do, particularly if you've got a set of examples to work from, but it is important that you have your database fully compacted (only 1 zip file) before you start, because you won't be making new transactions the way the apps would. I've been meaning to write up a description of how to do it, but it hasn't even made it to the upper 1/3 of the "fun stuff I might do when I should be working on more important things" list, despite how often I am doing items from that list :-)

More to the point, however, is the question of why you want to do this? The Mac app can't do anything useful with the information (it already has it for any context locations you entered on an iOS device, after all). Besides proving to myself that I could figure out how to do it, the only time I've ever felt the need to do it was when I had a complicated search that was awkward to enter on the iPhone, back before the location editor was improved. Now I might do it by experimenting with my search string in Google maps on the Mac, then copy and paste the resulting string into an email, read the email on the iOS gadget and copy and paste the string into the location field in OmniFocus. Much less trouble!

It's not that important.

I just stumbled upon this when I was entering a thing from my Mac, that I wanted to do at a certain place. Now I had to open the iPhone App (after finding out that the iPad App didn't have Notification abilities, although possible to edit the Location Reminder) and edit the task...

I think it would be great if all apps had the same abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
after finding out that the iPad App didn't have Notification abilities, although possible to edit the Location Reminder
No, the iPad app has the location notification ability, but your iPad may not. Only the iPad 2 with 3G hardware provides the notifications to OmniFocus for iPad, just as only the iPhone 4 and 4S provide the notifications to OmniFocus for iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No, the iPad app has the location notification ability, but your iPad may not. Only the iPad 2 with 3G hardware provides the notifications to OmniFocus for iPad, just as only the iPhone 4 and 4S provide the notifications to OmniFocus for iPhone.
So mine should have it (I have a 32GB with 3G). I had an iPad without GPS earlier though, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

It specifically needs to be an iPad 2 that has 3G - the first-generation ones can do location tracking for short bursts without running down the battery, but leaving it on all day isn't feasible. (Apple's Reminders app has the same limitation.)

If you have an iPad 2 with 3G, OmniFocus is up to date, and iOS 5 is installed, though, you should have access to the feature. Open Settings.app, ensure that Location Services are on, and that OmniFocus is allowed to access that info.

The last thing you'll want to check is that the location-based reminders are enabled in OmniFocus' settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
So mine should have it (I have a 32GB with 3G). I had an iPad without GPS earlier though, but that shouldn't matter, should it?
But is it an iPad 2, or the original iPad? It's got to be an iPad 2 with 3G, and you need to have iOS 5 installed.

See "Setting up Location Reminders" in the built-in help (you can't use the online help because they have yet to update it). Seems to me there was another step involved (turning on notifications of any sort for OmniFocus, perhaps) but I don't have my iPad 2 with me today to check.

It's also important to have Location reminders turned ON in OF Settings... Hrm. *blushing*

Thanks for the input folks!

You aren't the only one who initially missed that step!