The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are you happy with how task notes are handled? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of my gripes with notes is that the icon lives on the wrong side of the pane. On OO it's on the left side, where it most logically should be, because its associated with the description, not the metadata. It would be nice to have the ability to shift it.

Otherwise, I agree that:
- Notes should be viewable in a separate window;
- Dragged files should appear as hotlinks only, preferably as they are treated in OO.

I'm not unhappy with the way notes are handled, but I wish that OmniGroup hadn't made them left aligned with the action they pertain to. I prefer them to be indented slightly, as they were a few builds ago. The note indentation makes the more important action text stand out better. IMHO.

I'd like it the way OmniOutliner did notes. You can view them inline if you please, or in a split view pane at the bottom of the window. Notes are one thing I am not super comfortable with in OF either. I am a consumate note taker. I like to document everything I do for future reference, which as much detail as possible. However, because of the inline-hidden-until-proven-guilty nature of notes, I find I am not documenting *nearly* as well as I should be. Having a constantly open pane would help me remember to do that, and encourage me to write more.

This is a good feature, and it has proven useful in OmniOutliner

Another thing they could do is perhaps make that note icon red when it contains info.

The light grey / dark grey distinction is just not enough when it is way over there at the right hand column

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I find the in-line display of notes adequate. I haven't used iGTD, so don't know whether I'd prefer a separate note display.
Considering that Omni Outliner has a switch between inline and panel display of notes, they should really add the panel display option.

My OF tasks rarely have notes attached, but in OO I have so many notes that I have the panel display permanently open. I can see the point of the OP's request.

Victor.

Last edited by VicDiesel; 2007-12-12 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typos

hadn’t gone back to OOP for awhile (I do most of my outlining in Notebook, just fits my needs better) so fired it up. This is exactly what I'd love to see for notes.

I’d say well over half my tasks have notes. I want my note to be descriptive but concise, and most of my tasks are either somewhat involved, require resources to complete or were driven from an email or some other communication. This would really help me streamline my interaction with OmniFocus.

I appreciate all the folks who’ve chimed in on this.