The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is the purpose of Outliners? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Before I asked you this question, I did a Google search on it, and I couldn't find an answer.

Am I weird or I simply don't see the purpose of these kind of apps?

How are you using Outliners? How does it correlate with your OmniFocus?

If I need something remembered, I usually clip it to OmniFocus or to Evernote, depending on the status of the app. Now why would I need this third kind of apps in my system?

Thanks for your response, I am looking forward to your answers.

Thinking is inherently nested (topics and subtopics, key points and supporting material etc), whereas classic documents are linear.

Outliners are better than flat word processors for gathering thoughts, reorganising them, and alternating between overview and focus.

Apps like MS Word and Pages often have reasonable outline views, supporting collapse and expand, but their depth of nesting (indentation) is typically limited to 9 levels.

OO3 allows arbitrary levels of nesting, is fast and responsive, and exports to (and imports from) OPML - a common currency of many apps, including mind-map software, that work with hierarchically structured text. OO3 outlines can also be read straight into hierarchic diagrams in OmniGraffle.

In short, text is linear, thought isn't. Outliners make better thought-processors than flat text editors do.

The core of what makes OO3 the best in its class is that it combines nesting/collapse/expand/hoist etc with multiple fields/columns.

(That, and, of course, its rich and well-crafted scripting library).

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-26 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Added afterthought re scripting interface

OO3 also has an understanding of column types allowing it to provide the sort of summing/totaling capabilities you'd normally have to use a spread sheet for - but without the pain.

The main obstacle seems to me that most brain users are not accustomed to thinking in a structural logic...