The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using 'Waiting' context set to 'On Hold' or 'Active' Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I noticed that this context is (by default) set to 'On Hold' which seems reasonable enough, except that it therefore does not show any of the actions that are waiting for something.

While projects that have their next action in 'Waiting' will, effectively, be 'On hold' it would be more useful to see the content of the 'Waiting' context so as to be able to chase things up.

Am I missing how other people use OF or have other people (like me) switched the 'Waiting' context to active?

Thanks,

Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyblossom View Post
Am I missing how other people use OF or have other people (like me) switched the 'Waiting' context to active?
My Awaiting context is active. I use start dates to defer items when I don't want to be reminded immediately that someone owes me something. I use perspectives with the Awaiting context not selected when I want all of the SEP items to be hidden. (SEP = somebody else's problem, a Hitchhiker's Guide reference.)

I tried using an inactive Awaiting context, but just didn't find it to be a comfortable fit.

Curt

Yup, at first I thought my @waitingfor context should be on hold, but I quickly realized it needs to be active to be useful to me. I've started occasionally to use due dates for waitingfor actions as a follow-up tool - "if I don't hear back from this person by this date I should chase it up." Then the impending due dates make the action appear in some of my due-soon perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
My Awaiting context is active. I use start dates to defer items when I don't want to be reminded immediately that someone owes me something. I use perspectives with the Awaiting context not selected when I want all of the SEP items to be hidden. (SEP = somebody else's problem, a Hitchhiker's Guide reference.)

I tried using an inactive Awaiting context, but just didn't find it to be a comfortable fit.
How does using a start date defer something? When I put a start date in, it doesn't show up as something due.

I use start dates for waiting items also.

When I do my normal daily processing, I use the show actions with Status filter set to due soon or available. This won't show any actions with a future start date.

I leave my context filter on active.
The nice thing about this is... the waiting for context doesn't show up unless there are items in it with a start date in the past. If I am still waiting, I'll either create an action to inquire about what I'm waiting for, or if I want to give it more time, I tab over to the start date and change the start date to the future using tom (tomorrow) or a day of the week (mon - fri).

If I need to go through waiting items in the future (things people have gotten back to me about before the waiting for start date) I switch the 'show actions with Status' filter to remaining and look through the waiting for items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post

When I do my normal daily processing, I use the show actions with Status filter set to due soon or available. This won't show any actions with a future start date.

The nice thing about this is... the waiting for context doesn't show up unless there are items in it with a start date in the past. If I am still waiting, I'll either create an action to inquire about what I'm waiting for, or if I want to give it more time, I tab over to the start date and change the start date to the future using tom (tomorrow) or a day of the week (mon - fri).

If I need to go through waiting items in the future (things people have gotten back to me about before the waiting for start date) I switch the 'show actions with Status' filter to remaining and look through the waiting for items.
Ahh! So the start date has to be in the past before it shows up. Makes sense. I didn't test that one out! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post

I think there needs to be a better way of handling waiting context. I like the idea but swapping contexts to see something not due yet is a bit dicey for me to remember.

I agree. The current system I use is especially problematic when I want to follow up with a waiting for context and then wait again for a response.

My goal in OF is to switch to the contexts and just process... not switch back to project view and add a new item for waiting for or a new action.

Example:

-send email to testCompany about widget

When I send the email it needs a waiting for. Currently I do this:

--waiting for response from testCompany -future date

When I get to the future date I want to send an email to testCompany to see what the status is.

--waiting for response from testCompany -completed
--send email to test company about widget

I send an email and am now back in a waiting for state

--waiting for response from testCompany -completed
--send email to testcompany about widget -completed
--waiting for response from testCompany -future date

In programming speak... a waiting for item is a loop until condition is completed.

When I have a Waiting For item that I need to follow-up on, I just add the follow-up task above the Waiting For item. I leave the Waiting For item as is. After all, I'm still waiting for a reply even while I have now taken ownership for following up on the status. If I find myself tracking things at a more fine-grained level than that, it's usually because I'm procrastinating.

Curt