The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Does this solve WiFi Synching? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just noticed this new app on the App Store:

Air Sharing. Sure seems like a way to solve the synching to OF iPhone.

Anyone at OG care to comment?

Thanks

AirSharing uses Bonjour networking over WiFi to send and receive files. There are a number of other apps that have been using this implementation since the app store opened (SplashShopper is an example. Things is another).

OmniFocus could do this also if they built that functionality in. In fact, OmniFocus uses Bonjour networking over WiFi to send the settings from the the desktop app to the iPhone in order to set up syncing initially. The main problem with this approach is that you can only sync when your computer and iPhone that are trying to sync are on the same network. The primary advantage of Bonjour networking over Wifi is speed and ease.

To date, OmniGroup has chosen to keep syncing in the cloud. That way you can sync regardless of where you are (as long as you are connected to the Internet in some fashion).

For me, the current implementation is working pretty well (after a few hiccups initially). I'm syncing 2 Macs and 1 iPhone.

Do those other allow WebDAV support? I thought Air Sharing was unique in that regard. On second thought, once a wireless connection is made it shouldn't matter which program created the connection - WebDAV should work, correct?

When iPhone meet the Mac, why not use Bonjour to make data communication, and Mac version sync to MobileMe at the same time. It's Mac and iPhone on my hand, It should be smart and smart and smart and really Mac!

I'm also a user of Things, when I use its sync at first time. I can feel that kind of great sense truly, no setup, it just happen with a touch.

Last edited by euweilin; 2008-09-17 at 05:38 AM..

I'm curious about this as well. Has anyone tried syncing through a WebDAV app such as this one?

I should add that I wouldn't get much use out of a MobileMe subscription and setting up WebDAV on my Mac is something I'd rather not do (not least because of my technological inadequacies). If I could sync through an app like Air Sharing, I'd buy OmniFocus for iPhone in a heartbeat.

I don't understand why OmniFocus only permits syncing in the "cloud". For users with simpler setup, Bonjour is the obvious choice. I don't need real time sync as I only work on one machine at a time. Setting up cloud sync is just too hard and troublesome for me at the moment, and I obviously aren't interested in paying MobileMe just for this single function.

C'mon devs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprol View Post
I don't understand why OmniFocus only permits syncing in the "cloud". For users with simpler setup, Bonjour is the obvious choice. I don't need real time sync as I only work on one machine at a time. Setting up cloud sync is just too hard and troublesome for me at the moment, and I obviously aren't interested in paying MobileMe just for this single function.

C'mon devs!
You make it sound like they are actively preventing you from doing it, when in reality, you can't do it because they haven't built, tested and delivered it yet. As the old engineering saying goes, "cheap, fast, correct: choose any two!" After all the "fun" that was had with the initial launch of sync and the iPhone app, Omni is probably going to be very conservative and shipping the Bonjour sync support only when they are confident it is ready to go. This time around they don't have to worry about external pressures like the App Store launch. Much better that they ship something that won't have the same teething pains!

We are working on Bonjour syncing. WebDAV syncing took precedence because we felt it was most important to start with a solution that accommodated syncing from remote locations, but we definitely understand there are drawbacks with that solution, and we hope to address those for many of our users via our local sync solution.

While I agree with you, the loading and syncing of the iPhone app (on my 2G phone) is so painfully slow (even over wifi, forget about over the air) I would love to have the wifi as an alternate option.

I have a 3.2MB file on my Mac, and the directory on my Bluehost server is 5.2MB. Not sure if that is normal or large -- what are other people's file sizes and sync experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beharkey View Post
AirSharing uses Bonjour networking over WiFi to send and receive files. There are a number of other apps that have been using this implementation since the app store opened (SplashShopper is an example. Things is another).

OmniFocus could do this also if they built that functionality in. In fact, OmniFocus uses Bonjour networking over WiFi to send the settings from the the desktop app to the iPhone in order to set up syncing initially. The main problem with this approach is that you can only sync when your computer and iPhone that are trying to sync are on the same network. The primary advantage of Bonjour networking over Wifi is speed and ease.

To date, OmniGroup has chosen to keep syncing in the cloud. That way you can sync regardless of where you are (as long as you are connected to the Internet in some fashion).

For me, the current implementation is working pretty well (after a few hiccups initially). I'm syncing 2 Macs and 1 iPhone.

That's great news! Is this something we can expect in weeks? months? this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
We are working on Bonjour syncing. WebDAV syncing took precedence because we felt it was most important to start with a solution that accommodated syncing from remote locations, but we definitely understand there are drawbacks with that solution, and we hope to address those for many of our users via our local sync solution.