The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Current OmniWeb engine status? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi Beckert
I'd be willing to sacrifice a few features for the security of knowing OW will always have an up to date rendering engine.
Actually, Omniweb will likely always have a newer rendering engine than Safari since changes to Webkit can be pushed to Omniweb a lot faster than they can be pushed to Safari.

That said, Omniweb will likely not be able to use the built-in Webkit, as they will have to make some changes to support features unique to Omniweb.

Could someone check espn.com for me? OW 5.1 rendering chokes pretty badly there. The app itself won't freeze up, but the espn page render will stay static. Meaning I can scroll, but the page doesn't scroll. I can change tabs, but the espn page stays up. I have to quit and load the app to fix it.

I've the same when I check for updates. I'd love to sneak a peek myself...

As a quick question, I heard that you will no longer be using ATSUI for font rendering to speed up the render. I was wondering if you could at least include a hidden preference for it plist key or something, as I really do enjoy the marginally better looking render? (Safari offers the option in the Debug menu)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
The web inspector will be available but not as an official feature of OmniWeb, you'll need to use a terminal command in order to enable it.
That's fair enough, you have your page inspector, which is useful itself, but one nice touch would be if the hidden option also revealed a toolbar button as well as the Contextual Menu item.

...just a little HUD button, superfluous, but 'nice'. :)

Give with the public beta already! Please?

I was wondering in the final build for OmniWeb will you be using 13269 WebKit build or will you be using a more updated build of the WebKit ( like 14*** like I am hoping ) ?

I am using OmniWeb 5.5 sp released on apr 27, and I like it a great deal. OmniWeb 5.1 wasn't working that great on my MacBook, but what a difference 5.5 sp makes. Altough there are some pages that do not render 100% correctly ( but they start to in WebKit 14*** that's why I am hoping for that release in OmniWeb )

Quote:
Originally Posted by depill
I was wondering in the final build for OmniWeb will you be using 13269 WebKit build or will you be using a more updated build of the WebKit ( like 14*** like I am hoping ) ?

I am using OmniWeb 5.5 sp released on apr 27, and I like it a great deal. OmniWeb 5.1 wasn't working that great on my MacBook, but what a difference 5.5 sp makes. Altough there are some pages that do not render 100% correctly ( but they start to in WebKit 14*** that's why I am hoping for that release in OmniWeb )
We're actually on r13295 right now. We probably wont do any more major updates to our version of WebKit (At the time of our last update they were working on some stuff that could cause more problems than fix) but we will incorporate important bug fixes as necessary.

We'll keep an eye on how things develop though and update again when the time is right.

Please note that the current nightlies of WebKit support Prototype insertions again. I would really hate to see OmniWeb released with a WebKit that breaks about any Rails application out there.