The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Until OF 2.0, I need Collaboration Advice Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I look forward to the nirvana of OmniPlan kept on a server that is integrated with OmniFocus. Until that day. . . does anyone have any advice on software or methods of project management and collaboration.

Here is one situation:

I just finished leading a workshop that had a good 75 NA's it. I lead the workshop once a year, but there are 5 other people who will lead exact workshop and have to go through the same NA's. For myself, I am going to use Curt Clifton's template so I can replicate my NA's. I theoretically could export it to omnioutliner using Curt's script, but currently it doesn't support the start and due dates.

I would like to make all of the NA's and the timing of them somewhat of a routine. Consistently, people forget about small steps or things get stressful because things don't get done when then need to.

Would this be a good use for OmniPlan?

My biggest obstacle to OmniPlan is it seems like a difficult project to work out of— in other words, I would want to bring in all of my NA's into OmniFocus because that's what I have open every day.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Steve

I have a slightly different, but related use case.

I currently am teaching a class with two other instructors. They've both started to "drink the GTD kool-aid", but are on Windows and aren't as invested in the methodology as I am.

That said, we have worked together to create a template of all the actions that we need to collectively complete each week. Originally I had that template in OF and I was exporting to OO and creating a PDF from there for my colleagues. Because of the weekly nature of the template, we have due "dates" encoded in the action notes (e.g., "due on Tuesday of the week" or "due on Friday of the previous week"). It turns out for this collaborative work, the template that we share as the common view is not what I want in OmniFocus. In OF I just want my actions, with Waiting For actions for the things my colleagues have committed to delivering.

So currently, I maintain parallel versions of the template. One in OO showing a common view and color coded based on who is supposed to do what. The other in OF shows my view of the project. OmniPlan would seem like overkill for this, since there aren't complex dependencies or resources to manage. It's a bit annoying to maintain the two version, but far less annoying than having actions in my system that I wasn't responsible for completing.

For sharing a template that only one person would be responsible for completing, I think the Export to OO approach would be best. I'll eventually add date support to the script, but that's going to take a free couple of hours. That's more likely to happen once the weather turns cold or the Cubs' playoff run ends.

Curt