The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Collapse/Expand different sections to different levels? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Maybe I'm crazy, but I could have sworn I used to be able to keep different sections of the same Outline collapsed or expanded to different levels. But now when I expand one hoisted section to, say, Level 2, all the other sections expand to that. If I hoist a section and expand it to level 7 and then unhoist it, all the other sections expand to Level 7.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way I can keep different sections expanded to different levels?

If not, please add this to the wish list for the next version.

I'm not seeing this behavior, could you give me more specific steps or send an example document to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com along with steps if that's easier.

Hi Derek:

I have an outline with 7 sections. My View is not of the entire document, but I look at one section at a time. While looking at the 1st section, if I expand it to level 7, I find that all the other sections expand to level 7, even though I'm not viewing them right now. And if I am viewing the first section and collapse it to level 1, then all the sections of that document collapse to level one, even though they're not in the current view.

Am I correct in assuming that collapsing and expanding should apply only to the section currently being viewed? And that expanding or collapsing the section being viewed should not affect the sections not currently being viewed?

Yes, you are correct, it should only apply to what you are looking at. What version are you using? And how are you actually expanding the rows? Are you expanding them individual with the mouse or keyboard? Or are you using the expand all command?

I'm using version 3.6.5/final-v143.28, but your question about how I'm doing it is a good one. I'm using a toolbar icon for the AppleScript "Collapse to Level X".

Upon reading your response I tried it with the menu commands "Expand All" or "Collapse All" and found they behaved properly; i.e., they expanded or collapsed only in the current view, leaving other views intact.

I'm wondering if the AppleScript and the latest OO upgrade have some inconsistency.

The script is as follows:

tell application "OmniOutliner Professional"
tell front document
set max_level to count of level styles
set answer to display dialog "Show levels: (1-" & max_level & ")" default answer "1"
set new_level to text returned of answer as integer
if new_level > 0 and new_level ≤ max_level then
set expanded of every row where level ≥ new_level to false
set expanded of every row where level < new_level to true
end if
end tell
end tell