The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pasting text into outline form Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to post a list from Word into OOL and convert it into individual children? I could not for the life of me figure out how to do it-- the list would get posted into a single child, and I could not group within the child. I had to do it manually, but I'm sure there must be a workaround. Any suggestions?

Save your Word list as a text document (.txt, not .rtf). Open the text document in OmniOutliner and it should appear as a proper OmniOutliner listing which you can then insert into another outline. Does this work for you? It worked for me with a quick test file.

Note, if you save as a .rtf the bullets will appear in a separate column to the list contents when you open it in OmniOutliner. (Assuming you used Word's bullet/numbering feature to create the original list)

Last edited by JKT; 2006-04-18 at 02:09 PM..

When you paste text into Outliner you'll get different results depending on wether or not you're actively editing a cell. If you paste when you're editing a cell all of the text will go into that cell. If you paste when you're not editing or you have a row selected the text will be broken up into separate rows. You can hit the escape key to toggle editing of a row.

Thanks James... just a little bit easier than what I suggested ;)