The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Organizing areas and projects... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to organize my projects and actions and just want to make sure I'm doing it right. (Well, I know that there are many ways to organize and workflow with OF - so I guess I'm looking for "typical" or advice as to how I should start with it...)

Anyway, my folder structure looks like this:

Personal
- personal project 1
- personal project 2
- single action "list" (collection of misc actions without projects)

Business 1
- Client 1 folder
---client 1 project 1
---client 1 project 2
- Client 2 folder
- single action "list"

Business 2
- project 1
- project 2
- single action "list"

Does that seem to make sense to you guys? Some questions I had:
1) do you typically have list in each of your areas like that?
2) for those that have various clients that you serve, do you have a folder for each client? And do you keep that at the highest level, or do you put them under a folder for that business (area of responsibility)?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to learn from the experts. I'll be (hopefully) creating new habits here and might as well work towards best practice habits. :)

Any other comments, suggestions, advice is of course welcome. (I've read GTD a couple times, but have never implemented it with OF, so that's where i'm at...)

I think that looks absolutely fine if that's the way you're most comfortable. I personally don't worry too much about putting everything in a folder so long as I remember the project name to type in for auto-filing. Oh: also, I'm a big fan of putting projects in rough order of priority, with the ones that you want to do first towards the top and the ones that are more back-burner towards the back. I tend to keep those back-burner ones in folders but pull particular important projects out and move them up. So, don't be afraid to do that if you're looking for a way to prioritize your work.

Last edited by Lucas; 2010-02-06 at 08:07 AM..

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just trying to make sure it's reasonably organized but not over-engineered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Oh: also, I'm a big fan of putting projects in rough order of priority, with the ones that you want to do first towards the top and the ones that are more back-burner towards the back. I tend to keep those back-burner ones in folders but pull particular important projects out and move them up. So, don't be afraid to do that if you're looking for a way to prioritize your work.
I've just started doing this too and I rather like it. It roughly corresponds to the (physical, project support material) folders that I keep on top of my desk, rather than in the desk drawer. It's really working well for me.