The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

child tab after parent, not end of all? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniWeb ignores all context when a new tab is created. If I open a link it ends up at the faaaaaaaar end instead of being inserted immediately after the parent tab.

I spend a lot of time losing track of tabs this way or I end up opening the same link multiple times because I don't know that one opened successfully because it's fallen below the visible area in the tab drawer.

Agreed. This is very annoying. I've never understood the decision to have them open last instead of next to the selected tab. Also, for cmd+t, shift could be used to choose whether to have the new tab at the end or next to the selected one.

I'm looking at a page with a bunch of links I want to read. If I turn on the magic preference that sticks the newly created tab right next to the current one and click on those links, I get tabs in reverse order from how they were on the page (or the order in which I clicked them). Ugh.

If I want tabs for the links I'm opening in the current tab to be right next to it, this is easily done by re-opening the current tab in a new window (just double-click the icon before the URL in the Location Bar), then opening those links. Nice clean package, easily moved off into a different Workspace if appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm looking at a page with a bunch of links I want to read. If I turn on the magic preference that sticks the newly created tab right next to the current one and click on those links, I get tabs in reverse order from how they were on the page (or the order in which I clicked them). Ugh.
I was thinking of tabs that receive focus upon creation, and still think these should open right next to their parents. I can see your point if you're going to have links open in background tabs, and this could have the curent behavior, but it can be solved by having the parent keep track of its children. Tab 5 creates children 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, and so on, when opening in background tabs. 5.2 creates 5.2.1, 5.2.2, etc. Children leave their parents when dragged outside the group. Children could follow parents, that are dragged, by using a modifier. Other tabs dropped in a group of children of another tab can just float there without being treated as children. Some functions that could now be implemented are: "Close children", "collect children" (pushing all "invaders" below), "hide children" (making a stack), and "go to parent".

Finally, closing a tab should bring you back to the previously active tab.

Quote:
If I want tabs for the links I'm opening in the current tab to be right next to it, this is easily done by re-opening the current tab in a new window (just double-click the icon before the URL in the Location Bar), then opening those links.
Sure, that's possible, but as you said, you get one more window.

Last edited by andre h; 2011-03-03 at 07:35 AM..

Quote:
If I turn on the magic preference that sticks the newly created tab right next to the current one
Which magic preference is this?

Thanks,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Which magic preference is this?

Thanks,
Scott
There isn't one — I was discussing how such a feature (putting newly created tab(s) next to the tab they came from) might work, and what I didn't like about it. I can see how this might be confusing, sorry!

Cool..

The worst part is I didn't realize how much I'd like that functionality too until I thought maybe there was a defaults command that might enable it :)