The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workspaces... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any one else get the sense that they could be using these more efficiently?

I somehow am never happy with my setting up of them.

One thing I would like to see is that you set them up using the Bookmarks window. I'd like to design my workspaces out of dragging bookmarks into lists but currently you can't.

I'm never too sure that the window setup and set of tabs that I've designed is 'locked in'. The (wonderful - don't get me wrong) ability of OW to track your progress on the various sites means that the state of play in the Workspace window can look chaotic or at least not what you had set up.

If you follow...

Anyway, there must be something I am missing. The snapshots and rollback I get and use but still it feels a little uncontrolled for my tastes.

I agree entirely. The Workspace feature is cool and unmatched, but has a lot of unused potential. For example, I have a "Normal" workspace where I do my random personal browsing. However, sometimes I come across pages I want to send to one of my other, more specific workspaces. What I do now is to switch to the other workspace, then drag the link from the Workspaces window to the new window.

That's less than ideal, and certainly unintuitive and inconvenient, but it works. It's an area worthy of improvement.

One of the very few in OmniWeb, I really have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
sometimes I come across pages I want to send to one of my other, more specific workspaces. What I do now is to switch to the other workspace, then drag the link from the Workspaces window to the new window.
It can actually be a bit simpler:
  1. Show Workspace - current workspace is selected, with windows and tabs (pages) in the right pane.
  2. Drag a window or page and drop it on a workspace name in the left pane.
  3. Double-click on the destination workspace to see the result. [optional]
Voila!

Also, don't forget that you can copy/cut/paste (multiple) tabs from one drawer to another and therefore they can be moved from WS to another that way (click the drawer to give it focus for pasting).

FWIW, I sent this feature request in December, and received confirmation that something like it was already in their request tracking database:

Save workspace as bookmarks.

I often end up with way too many windows and tabs open, and would
like to save the URLs and start fresh without either making a new
workspace or bookmarking them all individually. The whole workspace
could easily be transformed into a bookmark folder, with one
subfolder per window, for later sorting.

In fact, why not just manage workspaces as bookmark folders in the
first place?

Workspaces record far more info than just what sites are open at the time (window position, size, minimisation status, etc) - you would lose that info if they were just bookmark folders.

For me, the WS concept works pretty well already. Some improvements that could be made are:

1. Better interface for the manager -
a) indicate what tabs are in the snapshot (and if they are no longer open, show this somehow - e.g. a "ghost tab" icon) and indicate what tabs are temporary.
b) allow it to be included in the tab drawer like the bookmarks and history can be.

2. Add new features to the manager -
a) ability to create WS while offline or online but without having to load sites (e.g. construct a WS from URLs already in your bookmarks folder or from external sources without having to load them)
b) ability to copy/cut/paste individual tabs from one Workspace to another in the manager (and also close tabs... or open new ones - see a) above).
c) ability to sort tabs in Workspace so that e.g. tabs from the same domain are grouped; tabs can be sorted by name, or time added, or by domain etc.
d) add a save as workspace menu option.
e) an ability to "lock" snapshot tabs so that they can't be accidentally closed or moved from their current location

3. General -
a) Give a warning when you are going to close/modify a snapshot tab (selectable preference).
b) if you select tabs in a drawer, offer the contextual options to "Cut tabs and create a new Workspace" and "Copy tabs and create a new Workspace" (edited so that the wording is much less clumsy English).

Last edited by JKT; 2006-04-14 at 01:24 AM..

JKT, you make a good point about them having lots more info than a bookmarks folder.

But it would be good to create them using our bookmarks window. Simply being able to design a set of tabs or windows by dragging bookmarks over. You can't do that currently.

I've been using workspaces for a couple years now. I really don't want to browse the web without them. What I like most about them is that my default one is set to give me a known starting point. It doesn't save its state. But I have other workspaces for different projects that save wherever they are.

I really like that each tab saves its history. I only save 5 days of history, and that seems to help keep OW running quickly.

But to address the immediate question, you can use the Bookmarks to create a workspace by dragging out the bookmarks you want into the tab drawer. If you drag multiple bookmarks one at a time onto a tab, you can create a history.

I realize that isn't what you're asking, but it gives you some control. Dragging a bookmark folder creates a tab for each bookmark inside.

But I like the idea of creating a new workspace from selected tabs. I could see using that when I'm exploring something and it starts to overwhelm my current workspace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
JKT, you make a good point about them having lots more info than a bookmarks folder.

But it would be good to create them using our bookmarks window. Simply being able to design a set of tabs or windows by dragging bookmarks over. You can't do that currently.
Agreed - see points 2 a) and b), and 3 b) in my list.