The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Quick Entry keyboard shortcut is ignored Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Folks!
Weird problem:
After changing some keyboard shortcuts in my system the OF keyboard shortcut for quick entry is ignored. I tried to reset it from the of OF config menu, from the keyboard shortcuts in the systemconfiguration, i changed the shortcuts keys, and dozens of things more.
The shortcut for adding things to OF is shown in the shortcuts screen of the system configuration but is ignored by all applications. In the services menus of all application the OF service is shown without a keyboard shortcut.
Huh?
Any tips or ideas are appreciated.
Cheers
Silvan

Update: This issues seems to be related to the localization. I think the localized versions conflict with the entries in the services menu...

Last edited by Quorcork; 2008-11-29 at 07:36 AM..

Hi,
For me I had also this problem many times. After a lot of shortcuts, i've found this one and it works : shif + option + command + =
Cheers
Grégoire

Thanks for the reply.
It seems the issue is not the shortcut itself but the services menu entry. the service uses an english service name "OmniFocus: Send to Inbox" but the german OF localization waits for "OmniFocus: Zur Inbox schicken" or something similar which is the german translation. Therefore OF no longer reacts to the english service call.
At least thats what i'm guessing from my testing so far.... :-(
Cheers
Silvan

Errhm, things just work now. I've no idea why. I did no relevant update in the last 24 hours.
The shortcut works, the menu entry is reacted upon by OF, everything is nice and shiny.

There seems to be some kind of software gremlin playing tricks on me on my machine... :-)
Cheers
Silvan

Hi Silvan
Which shortcuts works ? The ones I gave to you ?
I know sometimes software seems to be more lively than we can imagine.
Cheers
Grégoire

Any Shortcut i configure works now, this did not happen before. Also the shortcut is correctly shown behind the Send to Inbox service menu entry which did not happen before...

One of the most important experiences in computer science is to realize that these things definitely do not work deterministic.
Cheers

When you assign a keyboard shortcut to a service, it doesn't show up in other applications until they've been quit and reopened. Perhaps that could explain what happened in this case?

I'm glad it's working for you now in any case.

Nope, i was well aware of that. :-D
I even restarted every time (used win many years ago...) in the end as i could not understand why the shortcuts did not turn up in the services menu...
Cheers
Silvan

Now this seems strange, but it seems to me that the only time the quick entry will pop up using the shortcut is when OF is open. But I was hoping it would simply allow me to quick enter regardless of whether OF is open or active... am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Now this seems strange, but it seems to me that the only time the quick entry will pop up using the shortcut is when OF is open. But I was hoping it would simply allow me to quick enter regardless of whether OF is open or active... am I missing something?
Hmm, nope, the quick entry allows you to enter snippets from almost anywhere but only while OF is running (somewhere). It allows quickly entering while you are working with a different app but not while OF is not running. It's not a separate app...