The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to completely remove Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Following an attempted clean of my system, where I deleted the cache folder. Perhaps not the wisest idea, but it's what I did. Anyway, All my information was gone in OF, and when I tried to revert to backup, all the projects were there, but no actions. I found a file with my actions, but I have not been able to get OF to open to that file automatically, I have to open OF through said file to be functional.

What I want to do is to completely remove all traces of OF and then reinstall it, can someone tell me how? So far I have tried twice, but some preferences or something was stored through the uninstall.

Thank You.

I would also like to know how to do this. I messed up and need to reset the task info from iCal. Or is there another way to do that?

Remove ~/Library/Application Support/OmmiFocus and ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.omnifocus

as well as OF from your /Applications directory.

(the ~/Library/Application Support/Omnifocus is the one with your projects in it; that's the most important one).

thanks. That did it.

oops. Not it didn't. I cannot figure it out but I cannot seem to prevent omnifocus from duplicating all of my todos whenever I synch with iCal. I tried deleting omnifocus and all of the support files, but I go back in and do a fresh install and I hit clean up and bam, there are 4 copies of every todo back in OmniFocus. I've managed to keep the multiplication out of iCal (thank god) but how do I fix this?

Last edited by seamusk; 2007-11-18 at 07:10 PM..

Just to consolidate the info; the files we currently write are:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist -- your preferences
~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus -- current "real" document + perspectives
~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- optimized cache; can be blown away when OmniFocus isn't running and it'll get rebuilt
~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- Spotlight index files; can also be deleted when OmniFocus isn't running to force a rebuild.
~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups -- default location for periodic backups
~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions/Send to OmniFocus.scpt -- installed at launch
~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/clientdata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus -- installed on our behalf by SyncServices; shouldn't touch this directly

ok, thanks for the info Tim. I think that it must be the sync services that is the problem. But you say not to touch that directory. So what should I do? It is clear to me after trying to run cleanup without first synching with iCal that the multiplication of todos is coming via sync services. Can I delete the omnifocus file there somehow?

I believe that I may have solved this issue by clearing the sync history in iSync. I'll know for sure soon.

Last edited by seamusk; 2007-11-19 at 06:57 AM..

I wound up having to manually delete a bunch of tasks and I'm still not sure if my problems are entirely fixed. I did have a conflict with Contactizer I think so I deleted it since I don't use it.

Tim,

I need to uninstall and re-install as well. This post is quite old but does it still stand for uninstall of 1.10.6 (App Store version)?

Also, can you confirm that backing up the database (~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus) and restoring it once re-installed is all I need to do once the new install is done?

Thanks!

Matt

Why do you need to uninstall and reinstall?
(It's rare that one actually needs to remove all of those things, more often just the preferences file or the app itself.)

I can't think of anything that's changed since Tim's list above.
To restore, you may want to also restore ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist (which stores your sync settings, keyboard shortcuts, and such).