The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

When can we expect OmniWeb 5.8 Sneaky Peek? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I just wondered when we can expect the first Sneaky Peek of OmniWeb 5.8?

Thanks in advance

Being as 5.7 only just came out... quite a while! I'm more interested in v6!

Given that the OmniWeb webpage is several versions out of date (are those really OW 4.1 replacement icons on the extras page??), I would anticipate you will both be waiting a long, long time. Very basic usability bugs were not even addressed in 5.7, so its hard to believe that future releases will be substantial, should they ever occur.

what usability bugs are you referring to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
what usability bugs are you referring to
Don't know what hardcoreUFO was thinking of, but I would include:

No javascript printing
No returning to the last viewed tab when closing a tab
No easy sorting of bookmarks in Favorites
Poor AutoFill function compared to other browsers
Poor RSS

All of these have been discussed and acknowledged for a long time...

Last edited by mshalperin; 2008-05-09 at 11:12 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshalperin View Post
Don't know what hardcoreUFO was thinking of, but I would include:

No javascript printing
No returning to the last viewed tab when closing a tab
No easy sorting of bookmarks in Favorites
Poor AutoFill function compared to other browsers
Poor RSS

All of these have been discussed and acknowledged for a long time...
I'd call these dearly wanted missing features, the usability bugs are:
No way to change the order of the items in the "info" panel (CMD+I) by clicking on the column headers. This bug is so old, it's not funny anymore.

Also the issue with the source view that doesn't like to use any other fonts than the default one or Helvetica, and doesn't respect encoding tags. Furthermore the source view doesn't understand any XHTML whatsoever.

And all too often OW suddenly starts chewing up 80% to 100% CPU, for no apparent reason. Especially flash based video players tax the CPU on OW much more than on, say Safari.

If I click on an ad I want a dialogue that shows me the image address, without immediately adding it to my block list and lets me change the URL (adding asterisks etc.) and then save it to my block list. I mean c'mon that's how it supposed to work.
I'd also be very happy If I switch the search/blocking syntax in the Spamfilter to non-grep syntax, that is comprehensible for non-geeks. They could simply add a checkbox [ ] is regular expression , so you could switch between regular expressions and dummy-search-lingo (like using asterisks the dummy way).

I really, really hope these and other issues will be addressed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
(are those really OW 4.1 replacement icons on the extras page??)
Er yes, and what's the problem? They say they were ones created as replacements for 4.1's icon in the version that shipped, not that they are only for 4.1. You can use them on any version of OmniWeb if you want to.

Last edited by JKT; 2008-05-09 at 06:27 AM..