The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How projects and parent/child actions SHOULD work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I can't figure out how to get an action group to parallel status?
In today's builds, you can just click on the parallel icon (like you can with projects). In earlier builds, you can control-click on it and select Parallel from the contextual menu.

Sprial, you may want to try it in the latest build; I see you still have "no contexts" next to your action groups, and those were changed in recent builds.

Not sure if that would change things, but figured I'd note it.

That did it.

I missed it earlier in the contextual menu.

I just downloaded the latest build... and now the icon is there!

Suweeet!

Thank You!

That is a beautiful thing!

I think I saw this next request before... would be nice to default one or the other and not show the icon.

It's probably why the icon was taken out... busyness...

But that is an important icon. It lets me know how the project is functioning.

I vote for default sequential.
So no icon if the project is sequential.
Show the icon if parallel.

I'll put in a request.

Ken, I've come to mostly agree with you on action groups, esp. with the recent UI improvements. But I would really like to see to see a stronger visual indication in Planning View of action groups and projects that lack incomplete children, perhaps a red question mark badge. That would let me quickly check-off such action groups and help me to identify projects where I need to identify a next action.

Currently I'm using a script for this, but its kinda kludgey.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
But I would really like to see to see a stronger visual indication in Planning View of action groups and projects that lack incomplete children, perhaps a red question mark badge. That would let me quickly check-off such action groups and help me to identify projects where I need to identify a next action.
I really like Curt's idea here. It keeps planning in the planning mode (look at open loops and identify next actions if necessary), but it provides a visual cue for the planning mode that draws the user's attention to places that might need attention.

One thing I liked about Life Balance was that tasks/projects (since there was no distinction) whose children were all completed would then pop up in the relevant context (Place) list. What I disliked was that their popping up would sometimes lead me to waste time planning when I should have been doing (because planning is easier than doing!). Curt's suggestion would keep planning and doing separate while focusing attention in planning on those areas that might especially need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
In today's builds, you can just click on the parallel icon (like you can with projects). In earlier builds, you can control-click on it and select Parallel from the contextual menu.
This is working beautifully! Thank you for bringing the icons back.

I'm now accustomed to showing all the icons, and more than accustomed, I now love it.

Thank you Omni.