The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus will not launch, PLEASE HELP Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OF will open, but the window will not launch. The last thing I did was physically move and change the location of my database file. I then reopened them from the new location, but now simply clicking on the icon will launch the window. So now I right click and try to go to a particular section like the inbox and sometimes it opens sometimes not.

I did a repair. I restored the database, but still nothing.

I need some help! Thx :-)

Hmmm... I don't know why moving the database would have that effect, but if you shut down OmniFocus, then open up this folder
<your home folder>/Library/Preferences
and move the file named
com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist
to the desktop, does the OmniFocus window appear when you re-launch the app?

If so, something in the preferences file got out of whack - if you can send that to the support ninjas, we can take a look at it and try to figure out what the heck happened here. (The support ninjas are available at omnifocus@omnigroup.com.)

If there are any settings in the prefs file that you can't easily set up again, send the file to the ninjas and we'll edit the bad setting(s) out for you and send it back.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-12-18 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: expanded instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmmm... I don't know why moving the database would have that effect, but if you shut down OmniFocus, then open up this folder
<your home folder>/Library/Preferences
and move the file named
com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist
to the desktop, does the OmniFocus window appear when you re-launch the app?

If so, something in the preferences file got out of whack - if you can send that to the support ninjas, we can take a look at it and try to figure out what the heck happened here. (The support ninjas are available at omnifocus@omnigroup.com.)

If there are any settings in the prefs file that you can't easily set up again, send the file to the ninjas and we'll edit the bad setting(s) out for you and send it back.
Brian I'm not sure what moving that file did but moving it fixed my problem. what made you think to do that?

Thanks!!

Years of experience. :-)

More seriously, storing a list of what windows are open and where they're located is a pretty standard thing to put in the preferences file. I won't guarantee that this trick will work in every application, but it's usually a good first stab at solving the problem if you see it in other applications.