The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus integration with OmniPlan 2? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's a balance to be struck here, for sure. If your goal is to make a tool that can handle any workflow, not one of the many pretty toys, you don't want to make all of your decisions in favor of new user comfort at the expense of the experienced user. It's great to have a UI where you can easily discover everything without looking at the manual, except for the part where having discovered everything, you discover that you can't really do much, or all the "help" that you were given up the learning curve now just interferes :-)

Given Omni's apparent preference for building general purpose tools, I think users looking to find tools that will tell them how to do their work are looking in the wrong place. I know, CatOne will be along shortly to complain about how OmniFocus is too restrictive, but I think he'd agree that that restrictiveness isn't useful in showing you how to manage your tasks, it just gets easier when you figure out how to work with the tool instead of against it. That's a property of probably every tool ever invented — picture the prehistoric man trying to club some animal with the first spear :-)

I can see all the good in aiming for the best UI thinkable - for both pro-users as well as first-time users. It's good to have high ambitions - always.

However, I personally never had the impression that UI could be regarded as a deficit with OmniFocus at all. Hence I am surprised that this aspect would be heavy enough to delay (by 2 years) a killer functionality as integration of the #1 Task Manager with the #1 Project Management Tool.

Can't hide that this would be quite a bit disappointing to me.

PS:
As a workaround (@whpalmer4 - trust your eyes, yes I'm suggesting a workaround ;-) ) how about shared projects in OmniFocus then?

Omni

I am going to have to chime in with the other users here. I too severely miss the Forecast view on the Mac version of OmniFocus but the integration between OmniFocus and OmniPlan is the feature I desire the most.

It has been very disappointing to watch this forum post grow longer month after month for well over a year with no results. Forecasting this functionality for the end of 2013 or even 2014 is an eternity in the computer world.

Without this functionality, my money for OmniPlan will stay in my pocket as I suspect it will for so many of the other OmniFocus failful.

Tony

(Bump.)

Makes me wonder how many other users, like myself, have held off on purchasing OmniPlan until it has OmniFocus integration?

It also makes me wonder: if Omni polled their current and/or potential user base (i.e. 'owns: neither, just OF, or just OP, but not both') and counted the number of people who responded yes to the question, "Would you buy OmniPlan if it could synchronize with OmniFocus?"

Then took the number of users and multiplied by $200...

...how long that could pay an additional developer's salary, etc?

I'm also curious to know where this request ranks amongst all other desired features, both app-by-app and across all Omni apps.

Heck, a few weeks ago I was daydreaming about Omni having a Kickstarter campaign for this, but I got stuck trying to figure out what the different levels of perks would be.

"Kick in $250 or more: One of our Productivity Wizards will review your use of OF or OP (your choice!) and make suggestions for how to level up your Organizational Ninja stat!

Kick in $10,000 or more: David Allen will call you for a quick ten-minute check-in!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
(Bump.)

Makes me wonder how many other users, like myself, have held off on purchasing OmniPlan until it has OmniFocus integration?

It also makes me wonder: if Omni polled their current and/or potential user base (i.e. 'owns: neither, just OF, or just OP, but not both') and counted the number of people who responded yes to the question, "Would you buy OmniPlan if it could synchronize with OmniFocus?"
I keep coming back to see if OmniPlan is integrated with OmniFocus because there is two of us that collaborate all the time and we both use OmniFocus. Unfortunately we use a google spreadsheet to keep track of what we do and resources and then copy and past individually to our OmniFocus of what needs to be done. It is time consuming and a headache.

No doubt we would use OmniPlan if there were integration but no need to purchase OmniPlan until that happens.

Thanks Ken for your candid feedback of course always a risk sharing your plans but it still makes me like your company all the more for you doing so!

+1 here. I have not purchased OmniPlan but used it in the past. I use OmniFocus on a daily basis and integration with OmniPlan would certainly make me purchase it.

I'd use OmniPlan for long term sophisticated projects and OmniFocus for short term "what's next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I keep coming back to see if OmniPlan is integrated with OmniFocus
Another vote.

+1 I have put of buying OmniPlan and will keepp doing so until it Supports OmniFocus integration

I'm actually a little shocked you can't sync OP to OF. I feel forced to choose - I don't want to have to check both, that defeats the whole point of having one place to put your life. So I won't buy OP until this is possible (reluctantly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyPatPat View Post
Another vote.
I have review of this thread set up on regular basis in Omnifocus..