The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

First issue: creating subtasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
If you have an item in the Inbox that needs to go into a project and become a subtask, it takes loads of presses to move it there.

E.g., if I remember I have to phone someone about some detail within a project, what's the quickest way of entering it?

WORK [folder]
+--- Promotional film project
+---- Script
+----- [stuff]
+----- [stuff]
+---- Edit
+----- [stuff]
+---- Post production
+----- Graphics
+-----Prepare logo artwork
+-----Call Jeff to find out which logo <-- I need to add this new action

What's the quickest way?

Creating an item in the inbox and then moving it into position seems to be a complicated process, but isn't that what GTD is supposed to be about? Get it in the inbox, then when you've time, move it into a project and give it a context.

Process to move stuff out of the inbox seems to be:
- go to inbox
- tap the item
- tap the project box
- scroll down to the project
- tap project
- tap "Done"
- go to Projects
- scroll down to the project
- tap on the item
- tap "Move"
- scroll down through the hierarchy
- tap the branch of the tree you want to add this leaf to
- tap "Done"
(If there are already sub-tasks in there, you may need to re-arrange their order:
- tap and hold on item until re-order tabs appear on the right of the list
- drag item into position
- tap "Done".)

This is a hell of a lot of work for one single little action. Surely there has to be a quicker way? Maybe add an item to the tap-and-hold context menu for any action, allowing you to add an action right there in the hierarchy?

Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by howiem; 2010-07-30 at 06:56 AM..