The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative iPhone Sync Method? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,

It seems to me a whole lot of web dav / idisk syncing issues could be mitigated with working Wi Fi sync... mentioned hopefully as a possible future option here...

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ht=bone&page=2

Given that the first synch between the iPhone OF and OF desktop is via Wi Fi, hopefully this is not too difficult?

Might this thread be a good place to check on progress of this functionality?

Thank you and best of luck OG...I have 74 days left in my .me account. :eek:

"We're also investigating how we might be able to provide direct Wi-Fi sync between iPhone and Mac over the air without involving a separate server. Hopefully we'll be able to provide that in a free update within the next few months."

EDIT:

I'm curious...how many iphone OF users are fooling with web dav / .me / idisk etc etc etc >only< to synch with OF? Shout out ya'll...

Last edited by kidtreo; 2008-07-29 at 06:18 PM..

Two third party applications that use wifi sync are...

apple remote
1Password.

They sync to your local network using a code you punch in.

Finding OTA "push" calendar and contact syncing to be very unreliable, the only reason I continue to entertain my free trial of .me is for OF syncing.

So, yeah. Wi-Fi syncing would be a great option.

I couldn't agree more. A wifi syncing method as implemented by 1Password would be an ideal solution. I just tested it and it works quickly, efficiently and securely. It took about 20 seconds to transfer 94 items (passwords, secure notes, wallet items, etc.) from my MBP to my iPhone. And setup was an absolute breeze.

Please give us this option in OmniFocus so we don't have to keep fiddling with webdav servers or sign up for trial .me accounts!!

Thank you...ok that's 3 of us...others?

BTW, OG, you've done a fantastic job...and for an alpha release no less.

I have enormous confidence in the future of OF.

I have a program called beatmaker that allows wi-fi uploading and downloading of information. I would love this option because honestly...

MobileMe flat out sucks...well, for the price that is.

Well, I'm all for some other means of syncing because as for now my iPhone's OF is worthless since I have all my data on my MBPs and I've sofar not managed to sync OF on the MBP (or the iPhone) to my WebDAV server (which can handle iCal publishing and subscriptions as well as file-transfers when mounted through the Finder's "Connect to Server..." command...) :-(

Sofar the investment in the OF for iPhone has only been adding to my frustration and been eating my time due to the syncing problems many of us have been experiencing.

Can't find any clues on the net for solving this problem and these 502 errors are indeed frustrating.

This functionality might not (yet) be integrated into OmniFocus for Mac (and iPhone), but there is a solution for syncing via WLAN in your home/office network.

It's a little something for techies, but if you're not afraid of a config file:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9114

or directly: http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/...cus-to-iphone/

Regards
Boris

I am aware of this solution - and may indeed have no choice but to learn enough to implement it - but is currently beyond how much geek I am able to get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidtreo View Post
I am aware of this solution - and may indeed have no choice but to learn enough to implement it - but is currently beyond how much geek I am able to get on.
Wifi sync is being worked on.