The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Still Long Sync on iPhone... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
185 changes in 24 hours seems possible. Question: if you quit the app during the "full bar, wheel spinning" process, does the sync appear to have completed? How long does the next sync take?
I find this is the case with mine. If it seems to be taking a long time, I can quit and the sync seems to have completed fine.

So would it be possible for someone at Omni to comment on what the status is on this? Reading the various posts in multiple threads on the subject, I can't be sure if this is indeed an acknowledged issue that is being worked on, an acknowledged issue that is now fixed and will be incorporated in the next iPhone release, or is considered to not be an OmniFocus issue at all?

Whatever it is, I for one would appreciate an update. I just spent over 4 minutes on Edge (literally and figuratively) waiting for 3-5 changed tasks to be synced to the iPhone. If this is the performance that I can continue to expect in the foreseeable future, then I really would like someone to tell me that's the way it is going to be.

I don't work for Omni, but I can confirm that they know slow sync times are an issue, consider it important, and are testing improvements. Ken said as much in posts 4, 40, and 47 of this thread. Ken also wrote that broader testing, beyond just Omni personnel, was needed before the changes were incorporated in a release. That testing is now happening. There are still some kinks to be ironed out, but syncs are markedly faster and the app. remains usable during the network-bound portion of the sync.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
So would it be possible for someone at Omni to comment on what the status is on this? Reading the various posts in multiple threads on the subject, I can't be sure if this is indeed an acknowledged issue that is being worked on, an acknowledged issue that is now fixed and will be incorporated in the next iPhone release, or is considered to not be an OmniFocus issue at all?
Some of the posts in the threads are because of a specific issue that will be fixed in the next release. If you're getting a long "optimizing database" screen at the end of the sync, you can safely work around the problem by quitting and restarting the app.

Other posts in the threads are about other issues. Because there are so many factors involved - user behavior, app bugs, network performance, server performance - it can be hard for us to make a determination on the basis of the information in the post.

That is why you see so many "please email us so we can figure out what's going on" posts. That's the only response that will help that customer without causing more confusion or frustration. (2 customers have similar symptoms, but the causes may be different. I can't blame them for both posting in the thread; it matches the symptoms, and they're frustrated.)

Greg, if you frequently see syncs take that long, contact us and we'll help you figure out why. If most of your syncs are fast but this one was slow, the EDGE network or the server being at fault become more likely. We have limited ability to fix problems that exist outside of our code, but we're always happy to investigate.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-11-23 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: add the symptoms vs. causes bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Greg, if you frequently see syncs take that long, contact us and we'll help you figure out why. If most of your syncs are fast but this one was slow, the EDGE network or the server being at fault become more likely. We have limited ability to fix problems that exist outside of our code, but we're always happy to investigate.
Brian, I am seeing syncs of greater than one minute on WiFi and 4 minutes over Edge on a constant basis. I've reported my sync times in earlier posts in this (and perhaps other) thread(s). These long sync times have become the norm for me. I have contacted the ninjas and even ran the Enable File Manager Debug Logging test about 6 weeks ago as recommended by Ken in post #48 of this thread. I was told the information I logged was helpful, but I was not told that anything indicated a potential problem outside the code.

Well, I no longer have long sync times - because I've pretty much given up using the iPhone app. I'd say 50% of the time I need to check on some task or just view the tasks that need doing. The rest of the time I need to add something to the database.

To invoke OFiPhone and wait close to 30 seconds before just wanting to check on some task is too long. Little by little I used OFiPhone less and less.

I had the same slow sync problem that many others have seen on my 3gs. Always at least two minutes or more, even with no changes, regardless of rebooting the device etc. Sync was with MobileMe's WebDAV, I have no other machines running OmniFocus.

I finally realized that Calendar Export was set to On, BUT I had never gone into the options to click "Synchronize" to create the iCal on the server (so no calendar existed).

After I DID click Synchronize and create (and subscribe to) the calendar, all my syncs were down to 10 seconds, and have stayed that way for a day or so. I'm hoping they will continue to stay that way.

My guess is that OmniFocus is messing up when it tries to sync but no calendar has been created.

I don't know if this may be only one of the causes of this problem for others, but hopefully this helps some of you.