The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Oh, one more thing: I also purchased OmniGraffle for the iPad (I do not have it for the Mac, but am considering it).

In my opinion, the Omni Group (at least with these two apps, as I haven't used their others) elevate the iPad to desktop-level heights, in terms of productivity apps. They don't feel compromised to me. At the same time, they also make good use (especially OmniGraffle in this regard) of the touch interface, to the point where the touch UI feels like an advantage over the mouse and keyboard.

In short, Omni does a great job of making apps I want to use, but that also make my iPad...well...more serious, more professional, for those things I need it to be that way for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Look, if you bought your favorite movie as a VHS tape eons ago, then as a DVD, and now you just bought a Blu-Ray player, does the studio owe you a discount on a Blu-Ray disc of that title? If you bought a succession of cars from the same manufacturer, do they give you a half off deal if you buy in the first few days of the new model year? Omni does give a big trade-in allowance when you move to the next major version, and none of this business of penalizing people who don't buy every version, either.
Whatever you think of the $40 price point, your examples are pretty bad choices... The movie industry is probably the #1 in terms of milking its customers to the max... 3D anyone?

As for the car analogy, the real parallel would be if people were complaining that they don't get a discount on OmniGraffle or some other OG app...

The real problem here is that you've never had to pay for each install of OmniFOcus on all your computers until now. But the hardware landscape has changed and now you do... Omni could have put together a slightly upgraded version of the iPhone app, make it universal, and call it a day. They decided instead to go all out and make a kickass app specifically for the iPad. It makes sense... And although I'd bet the commercial aspect had at least something to do with it. I think they were mostly excited by the potential of the new device and the opportunities it created in terms of UX and UI.

Still though... You used to be able to buy an app and install it on all your Macs. Now suddenly, you have to buy a new app for each new device you own, even when they share the same OS. They don't force you to buy it. But they don't go out of their way to make you feel they appreciate your business either...

Just sayin'

Frankly, I was expecting the price to be $50 - and would have paid it gladly. So $40 was a bonus!

I am firmly in the camp that OF has MORE than repaid its cost in value to me. I know the iPad version will also.

Thanks OG! Can't wait for OO for iPad also!

There is no question that the software is expensive. However if we want the iPad to be a serious platform and not a 59p (99c) bargain bin of fart apps and casual games then we have to pay for it.

I agree that the combined price is expensive, but we live in a world where it costs money to develop software. It costs money to have developers to develop and just because a couple of years ago they made an iPhone app, doesn't make the iPad app free to develop. It cost more time and took more people to develop. It simply HAD to cost more money.

I welcome Omni into the iPad space. They are making desktop quality apps for the iPad, and the app store would be a lot poorer without them there.

based on the desktop program and the ipod app, $40 is exactly what i expected. no issue with that price. it is worth the cost. thanks omni.

Thanks, but No Thanks. I really think those of us who had already purchased OF for Mac and iPhone should have gotten some type of a price break. Well, no matter, I'll stick with Things as it meets my needs just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
Thanks, but No Thanks. I really think those of us who had already purchased OF for Mac and iPhone should have gotten some type of a price break. Well, no matter, I'll stick with Things as it meets my needs just fine.
Sorry, our discounting options are limited on the App Store: it doesn't support discounts on the basis of purchase history; we can't even offer discounts to our own employees!

We did take this issue into account when pricing the app, though—we chose a price that's half the price of the desktop app, even though it offers much of the functionality of the Mac app (and some new features such as its Forecast and Review modes) on a brand-new, portable, and very usable platform.

We think it's a great value for software people use everyday and which makes them more productive. We hope you'll think so too, but we also understand that not every customer will have a need to purchase all three editions of the application.

Based on software pricing in the app store this software may seem expensive. I don't think Omni has any reason to apologize for its pricing. Developing and supporting software products is expensive. Not only does Omni deliver quality products the products under go continuous enhancement. The support provided for defect and user issues is of a level not achieved by most software vendors. To date I have not had to pay for any updates and have been a user of OF since December 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry, our discounting options are limited on the App Store: it doesn't support discounts on the basis of purchase history; we can't even offer discounts to our own employees!

We did take this issue into account when pricing the app, though—we chose a price that's half the price of the desktop app, even though it offers much of the functionality of the Mac app (and some new features such as its Forecast and Review modes) on a brand-new, portable, and very usable platform.

We think it's a great value for software people use everyday and which makes them more productive. We hope you'll think so too, but we also understand that not every customer will have a need to purchase all three editions of the application.
Ken, thanks... I can appreciate this.

I was hoping for an introductory special, but, again, I understand. I'm still thinking about it. I'd give it a 70% probability that I'll end up purchasing it. But, I still think that you could likely do better in terms of your business profitability with a slightly lower price driving a higher volume. Guess we'll never know, tho! ;)

If you think about the classic GTD premise that it will save you 2 hours a day, how quickly do you think $40 will be absorbed in productivity boosts?

In that regard, as an owner, of the iPhone, iPad & OmniFocus family pack versions, I can say that the $180 combined I've spent is a bargain compared to the productivity boosts it has let me achieve.