The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Automatic Backup Created" opens a Finder window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Starting a week or two ago, when I awaken my Mac from screen sleep, I often see a Growl popup from OmniFocus reporting that an "Automatic Backup has been created" (or something to that effect). When I dismiss that Growl popup, a Finder window opens, displaying the collection of OmniFocus backup files.

I just saw my first Growl from OmniFocus in real time. It appeared for a few seconds and faded away -- no Finder window opened.

It would be nice if OmniFocus didn't open the Finder window when it creates a backup during idle time.

[submitted as formal feedback]

The Finder window will only be shown if you click on the Growl window. Growl lets the source application provide some context to be passed back to activate if the user clicks on the window. For example, if you click on an overdue task Growl, you'll go right to that task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood
The Finder window will only be shown if you click on the Growl window. Growl lets the source application provide some context to be passed back to activate if the user clicks on the window. For example, if you click on an overdue task Growl, you'll go right to that task.
Ah! I was not aware that my Growl notices could be active. I'll try clicking on notices from other apps to see what I'm missing.

The trick here is what click-on-Growl means:
  • Clicking on a Growl notice when it appears clearly means "do the associated action."
  • But when I'm away from my Mac, I've asked Growl to keep all notices on screen. Clicking these sticky notices is the only way to make them disappear.
A discussion in the Growl forum mentioned the close ("x") button. I'll try clicking it the next time to see if I can dismiss a notice with OmniFocus finding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Ah! I was not aware that my Growl notices could be active. I'll try clicking on notices from other apps to see what I'm missing.

The trick here is what click-on-Growl means:
  • Clicking on a Growl notice when it appears clearly means "do the associated action."
  • But when I'm away from my Mac, I've asked Growl to keep all notices on screen. Clicking these sticky notices is the only way to make them disappear.
A discussion in the Growl forum mentioned the close ("x") button. I'll try clicking it the next time to see if I can dismiss a notice with OmniFocus finding out.
The clicking thing can be very handy. I mostly use it with GrowlMail; when the notification shows and I see the message I have been waiting for for ages, I just click on the growl window and thus open the e-mail directly, without having to switch to Mail.app and then select the message in question.

The close button should appear when you hover with your mouse over a growl notification. If you also keep the option key pressed (or was it control?), all notifications will be closed in one go.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
The close button is a smaller clicking target, but it doesn't awaken OmniFocus.