The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It may not yet be time for an Android app.

This is an August 2012 report from Forbes.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytra...s-dont-matter/

or this report from the Guardian UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ina-smartphone

I'd certainly love to see a world where apps are not created with the Android SDK or the iOS SDK. I'd rather see an HTML5 app that doesn't require constant internet connection. Develop in HTML5 and deploy everywhere.

However, I'm not an iOS developer or an HTML5 and thus do not know the nuances (advantages and disadvantages) of deploying HTML5 apps as a substitute for native apps.

There is also this article:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/27/win...-says-distimo/

As a customer, it is awesome to get free apps. But on the other side of the fence, it may not be so enjoyable as a developer trying to generate revenues.

The thing that would help would be one of two things.

1. sync with Toodledo .. There are tons of software that has Toodledo sync on android and it would work.

2. develop a web service or an API, or description of data files. You can write an app if you had the structure.

Unfortunately, this has meant that as much as I love Omnifocus, I have had to move on (until they produce an Android app). When I had an iphone I was solely Omnifocus (with an occasional dabble with Things).

I have now had to move everything to Todo as they have a mac app, an ipad app - and they are currently producing an Android app. So they now get my sales.

Of course, the moment Omni produce an Android app I will jump ship back here - but until then ...

I am in the same boat. I switched back to TODO yesterday (Since I own it anyway on iPad and Mac), and then got sync with Toodledo (Pro Version), so that I can sync to my Android.

I have to say that I miss the features of OmniFocus, and would jump back the second they offer SYNC to Toodledo or an android app.

At the same time if there is an online web service of some kind I will be back as well. I love OmniFocus and think it is the best, but I need to be able to at least VIEW my TODO's. Unfortunately I tried the export to OPML but have not found a way to view it on Android.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Come up with some way for us to Sync our Androids. I know you want to keep total control of the data, but a sync to Toodledo (Commercial version) will allow people to use things on Windows, Android, Linux, etc.... You will not impact your market in any way in fact you will increase it.

The Toodledo API should be flexible enough to create things for nested folders, etc which is all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilewicz View Post
Unfortunately, this has meant that as much as I love Omnifocus, I have had to move on (until they produce an Android app). When I had an iphone I was solely Omnifocus (with an occasional dabble with Things).

I have now had to move everything to Todo as they have a mac app, an ipad app - and they are currently producing an Android app. So they now get my sales.

Of course, the moment Omni produce an Android app I will jump ship back here - but until then ...

Sorry to disappoint, but I'd say that the odds are pretty remote that we'd attempt cross-platform sync anytime soon. (If ever.)

You end up investing a large quantity of time and energy into building and maintaining a feature that could break at any moment and without warning. Even in the best of cases, the feature provides a sub-par experience. (Look at the threads in iCal sync forum, for an example of how efforts like this work out.)

This has an effect on our current customers by taking time and energy away from features that benefit them more.

This is probably one place where folks who are frustrated with Apple's approach to solving certain problems are going to be frustrated with us, as well. It's just not how we're wired, but we try to be up front about that.

I found out that others are not flexible enough, but how about improving the export options.

I am going through the forums now to see if I can come up with some way to just export the data in to some format that will be useful to look at, in an android phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but I'd say that the odds are pretty remote that we'd attempt cross-platform sync anytime soon. (If ever.)

About 6 months back I purchased OmniFocus for ipad, iphone, and laptop. Since moving over to droid I've had to stop using OmniFocus all together. I would love to see an Android version or at least a online SaaS version.

With out a mobile capability I just can't use OmniFocus any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRamonJr View Post
About 6 months back I purchased OmniFocus for ipad, iphone, and laptop. Since moving over to droid I've had to stop using OmniFocus all together. I would love to see an Android version or at least a online SaaS version.

With out a mobile capability I just can't use OmniFocus any longer.
There's no sense in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are people who have both iOS and Android devices and switch between the two environments fairly comfortably.

did your laptop stop working and you mysteriously can't use OmniFocus anymore? I'm assuming that if you have a laptop that you would have a bag that would house the iPad fairly easily. The ipad still works? Or did you sell it off because it's not "open"?

One of the hidden costs of switching platforms is having to buy replacement apps on the new platform all over again. That's a cost I'm not willing to make. I've already spent good money on my OmniFocus apps and other apps. I like the Galaxy Tab but I'm not willing to start all over again and search for a suitable OmniFocus replacement in the Android world. it's just too much of a hassle to have to learn a new task management program and still pine for missing features that aren't found in the new replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
I am going through the forums now to see if I can come up with some way to just export the data in to some format that will be useful to look at, in an android phone.
Have you tried exporting to HTML using the Mac app?

Can OF be synced with something like astrid or toodledo? I'm not even talking about a two way sync. Just a way to get the data on to an android device automatically so I can view it when I'm away. It would be nice to be able to edit things on the android side, but that's not as important as simply being able to have access to my tasks wherever I go.

If that's not possible, I may just have to find another alternative. I've attempted to switch over to iOS in the past (and more recently just for the sake of being able to use OF) and it's just too much of a step down from android...it's not gonna happen.