The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to Remove a Task Dependancy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi There,

Wow is Omniplan fantastic. Thank you for creating such great easy to use software.

I have run into one issue that I can't find a way to resolve. How does one remove a task dependancy once it has been setup? I have make some error and need to change dependancies but can not find a way to remove one once it has already been created.

Thank you very much!

Al

Easy. Select one of the tasks linked by the dependency. Bring up the Task inspector via cmd-1. Click on the Dependencies tab (icon is two tasks with a dependency drawn between them) and you'll see a listing of all of the dependencies involving that task. Click the little white x in the grey circle at the right side of the window for the dependency you want to remove.

Another approach would be to use View->View Options to turn on display of dependents and prerequisites in the outline display. You could then edit those columns directly to add or remove the dependencies.

Oh Fantastic!!! Thank you! That was as easy as I expected it would be - I just couldn't find it.

I wonder if I could ask a follow-up question. Once I have done this I want to move the group of tasks to an earlier date by about 1 week. When I try to do this the blue group does not move but rather a grey line is created extending backwards to the date I have selected.

What does this grey area mean? a change from the original plan? How do I move the item without the grey line?

Thank you!!!!

Al

Your display looks something like this, I take it?

What the grey bar indicates is that there is a start constraint (start this task no earlier than this date) but the leveling code has determined that the task is not able to be started until a later date. The grey bar serves to show the delay imposed.

Here's a picture of the Task inspector for Task 4. You can see the Start Constraint is quite a bit earlier than the Actual Start, and you can see the 2 days and a few hours of delay imposed by the leveling process. If you wanted to force it to start at the earlier time, you could adjust the Actual Start and click the little padlock. Re-level the plan and check for violations.

Here I've locked Task 4 to start 9/7/11 8:00 AM, forcing the rest of the plan to be pushed back:

And here I've also locked Task 1 to start at that same time, which creates a violation:

(I clicked on the violation icon at the left to bring up the window describing the problem)