The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Possible OF/iPhone/GPS idea Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What if you could associate a GPS coordinate with a particular context? Say, Errands: Best Buy @ GPS location xxx yyy.

Then what if you could configure OF on the iPhone to pop up your list of Errands whenever you came within a N mile radius of said coordinates.

Silly? Probably. I was just thinking of that this weekend when I was out running around shopping with a pen and my hard copy of Errands (you know since my iPhone doesn't have OF... yet).

I can't think of any other use other than running errands for that feature. I had a bit of a laugh about it and thought I'd share.

Brandon

Ha ha, that is an interesting idea, and would be a novel use of the technology. I kind of like it!

Brian avoids violating any NDAs he may or may not be subject to by saying nothing more than "the iPhone does not use GPS to track location data."

...must ... resist... temptation... to... parse... that... sentence...

"the iPhone does not use GPS to track location data."

Ah.. but the iPhone 3G does. Oh the contextual possibilities! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
What if you could associate a GPS coordinate with a particular context? Say, Errands: Best Buy @ GPS location xxx yyy.
More conveniently, maybe allow OF to choose address book entries for contexts out of your address book.

When you open OF, it'll show you the tasks that you can do nearby -- that'd be supa sweet.

I like the idea and would extend it to this.

What if I could mark my Agenda people with thier address?

So lets say I have Agenda-Bob and I link that to Bob's address book entry. Now, when I am actually AT Bob's house OmniFocus would say "Hey, you have things on Agenda-Bob.. and you are at his house"

You could extend that to the "@Work" context where OmniFocus iPhone would read from your Addressbook for your "Work" address.

Ahh.. so much fun.

BZ

Or you call Bob and your iPhone says, "By the way, here are the things you wanted to talk to Bob about". (@Phone : Bob).

I like that as well.

For the @Errands, OmniFocus could just say whenever your are not at your home, you are basically able to be @Errands. Or when you are moving (down the street, etc) you are @Errands.

So much fun stuff.

BZ

I guess those OmniPeople were thinking ahead:

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/iphone/

"Using your location, OmniFocus can create a custom list of actions to complete nearby. Buying groceries? OmniFocus can show you the closest grocery store and create an instant shopping list."

:)

BZ