The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Task Groups (and their Tasks) don't show up in Project view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobeson View Post
Am I really the only person bothered by this?
No. I think the designers at Omnigroup are in over their heads with the redesigned behavior.

Make sure you send a suggestion in to the ninjas

Quote:
Am I really the only person bothered by this?

No, if I'm understanding correctly here's a thread of mine asking the same thing. How can I ever complete the tasks if I never get to see them?

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16414

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
How can I ever complete the tasks if I never get to see them? ]
Sadly it seems your only choice at the moment is to set Project preferences to show "Remaining", and then put up with all the clutter from non-available actions like those with future start dates and those that are part of a sequential project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyroad View Post
Sadly it seems your only choice at the moment is to set Project preferences to show "Remaining", and then put up with all the clutter from non-available actions like those with future start dates and those that are part of a sequential project.
I believe this is how the program is used by most of us. The project view is mostly for planning purposes, and the context view is for acting.

It took me awhile to get used to this when I first start using OF for Mac when it was alpha/beta tested, but now I'm quite comfortable with this workflow.

Quote:

And looking at these tasks in Context view can be confusing. What if I have TWO "Set up Y" tasks, but under different parents? And one is due today and the other a week from now? How do I know which one to work on today when the only visible differentiator in this view is the Project Name and they're both the same?
Yes, that's an issue, but it isn't unique to this part of the program (or even this application). Anywhere where you may show only the trailing component instead of the full "path" you are going to have potential aliasing problems like this. If you have folders in your sidebar for different areas of responsibility and have projects with the same name in more than one, you've got the same problem. If you have a project template which you use to make identical projects for different clients, you have this problem. Sometimes, you have to put more detail in the last component of the name.
Quote:
I could swear it didn't used to be this way... Or was it?
Not exactly sure what you mean by "it" here, but there has always been an issue whenever you make the differentiation between two items be a part that you aren't displaying, whether that be position on the page, or a component of the path. How would you propose fixing that?

I'll tell you what I do — I use Curt Clifton's Populate Template Placeholders script for my identical projects, and the templates have a placeholder in the actions for the name of the client or project or other identifier so that I can look at the action alone and know what it is. I avoid structuring a project so that I have identically named actions in different places in the project.