The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"On Hold" Projects don't appear in the Project drop down? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I just noticed that any project that is set to "On Hold (Waiting)" does not show up in the project drop down list.

For example, I captured an action to my Inbox, then when processing, I click the drop down list for "Project" to assign that action to an existing project (like my Someday/Maybe list), but Someday/Maybe isn't available in that list because it's On Hold. It seems the only way to get this action into an On Hold project is to manually drag it to the project in the Library.

Is this by design? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

And just a side note, OF for iPhone does NOT work this way--On Hold projects are available for selection when processing actions out of the Inbox.

I've got an on hold project (appears in sidebar when I am showing On Hold projects). If I go to the inbox, create a new action, tab to the project field and start typing the name of the on hold project, it shows up in the list that appears. Now, if I do the same with a dropped project, or a project that is contained in a dropped folder, it does not appear in the list. I suspect this is what is happening in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I've got an on hold project (appears in sidebar when I am showing On Hold projects). If I go to the inbox, create a new action, tab to the project field and start typing the name of the on hold project, it shows up in the list that appears. Now, if I do the same with a dropped project, or a project that is contained in a dropped folder, it does not appear in the list. I suspect this is what is happening in your case.
Thanks for the reply--this is helpful, (and it has nothing to do with dropped folders or dropped projects). If I start typing, the On Hold projects DO appear--in gray, and the Active projects appear in black. I can then select an On Hold project, but if I click on the dropdown box, it still does not appear. So, it looks like I now have 2 options to be able to move an Inbox item into an On Hold project: 1. Drag it manually onto the project in the Library, or 2. Start typing and it will appear.

I'm assuming that this is all by design, but I would still like an option to have On Hold projects appear in the dropdown list. I'll wait a bit longer for some more input and feedback before officially requesting the enhancement to the support ninjas.

Ah, I see what you are saying. Yes, they don't appear in the list before I type anything either, but my list had so many entries before the first on hold project that I had typed a character to get within sight of it, and doing so made them appear. To me, it looked like they were always there. Because sidebar order can be viewed as a form of prioritization, my on hold tasks (which are by definition not a current priority) tend to get shuffled down the sidebar.

Given that the on hold projects behave this way (and are shown in gray) I'm sure this is intentional behavior, not a bug. No need to wait, you should file your request now with Help->Send Feedback, and hope others do as well, but I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for it to appear! There are many requests which have gotten plenty of votes ahead of it in the queue...