The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.0 Feature Request: Layer options! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think OO 4.0 needs layer options like OG. This way we can choose to print off certain parts of our outlines and notes on pre-made templates with student name/company info at the top and neat stuff in the footer (much like what I do in OG for my flowcharts.

Assigning certain layers to certain parts or the entire outline would be great.

Also, there should be some movement to make OO more like a word processor in terms of presentation once the document is exported to PDF format or printed to paper. This way, we don't have to copy over stuff to Nisus or MS Word to make things look nice. Obviously I am talking about how OO addresses the use of the column titles. I would like to stick a paper title/subject at the top of the first page when taking notes or writing an outline for a research project.

i like the idea of a layers option - that would seem a very logical and meaningful innovation.

not so sure about the 'making OO more like a word processor' although i could see an argument for incorporating OO into a new OMNI word processor - something like 'OmniWord' - or 'OmniPages' ;) with OmniOutliner as a separate module or mode within the new word processor. I hate MS Word, and Pages, although it's slick, does lack a lot of features i'd like to see in a word processor. On the other hand I'd like to keep the simple power of OO as it is now (with a few improvements) because of its great adaptability and flexibility. perhaps they could both exist: 'omniwrite; the super outliner and word processor in one', and 'omnioutliner 4.0 - the new improved stand-alone outliner'

if wishes were horses ...

Last edited by kened; 2008-03-26 at 10:03 AM..

I agree with the word processor comment you made. I don't think OO should be a Word Processor but it should lend itself to be more flexible for page layout for printing like a word processor. Printing pretty documents inside OO requires a bit of work, unless you have a preset template setup. But there are many things I would like to print (multi-page documents specifically) while having some control over page title layout etc.