The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

can't set backup location? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hi all, i can't seem to set a backup location for the omnifocus database. I wanted to move it out of the documents folder to somewhere less in the way but it was resistant to any kind of change and started plopping down backups straight into 'documents' rather than in its own subfolder. I tried to move it to the HOME/Library folder but it didn't like that either and is now refusing to do anything but backup right into my HOME directory.

Anyone know any discipline tips that can make OF behave?

I have the same problem. It was also started creating backps every minute after I did this. It stopped that after restart.

How are you changing the backup location? Moving the files in the Finder doesn't tell OmniFocus to change where it puts the backups. You need to open Preferences in OmniFocus. On the General tab, there's a "Backup Location" text box with a "Choose..." button below it. Use that to change your backup settings.

(If that's what you were already doing and it's not working, please let us know so we can fix the bug!)

Yes. I tried to change through preferences.

@Lizard - Same problem here, can't change it in preferences I have created a folder in documents called OF Backups, when I choose it it just defaults to the documents folder, creates a mess in my documents folder. I'm running th latest "sneeky peak build" , just updated today, but the problem has been around for a while now.....

Regards

I can reproduce the problem, so I'm reporting it locally. Our apologies for the problem, and thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Anyone know any discipline tips that can make OF behave?
I run Hazel and use that to keep my backups in order.

I have a Hazel script which run three rules. Hazel monitors the backup folder and runs the rules when it sees a change. The first rule sets the colour label to GREEN if the date added is today. This way I know its a new backup and Hazel is working correctly. I then have another rule which turns the label red if the file is more than 5 days old and then lastly one which looks for red labels and deletes them if they are more than a week old. I guess I could now miss out the red phase and just delete them after 5 days.

It's not quite what your after but it does stop your system from filling up with hundreds of backups and wasting lots of hdd space.