The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cannot preview page from Dreamweaver Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In SP11, I can finally add my page to BBEdit's prefs, and that app preview fine now.

However, I still cannot preview in Dreamweaver 8.02. I get a web page that reads:

Code:
Cannot Load Address

Stopped loading <file:///POLIWHIRL/Users/Shared/WORK/409%20CANAL%20STREET/1989%20409%20canal%20web/html/contact.html>: file doesn’t exist

And I take it you verified that's the proper location of that file?

Yes, of course. And I also tried moving the file to the HD root and previewing it from there, similar result.

Is there really a directory called "POLYWHIRL" in the root of your drive or is that the name of the volume?

If you open the file from the Finder, directly into OW, do you get the same error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
If you open the file from the Finder, directly into OW, do you get the same error?
No, it works fine. I can also open the html in BBEdit and preview it from there no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
Is there really a directory called "POLYWHIRL" in the root of your drive or is that the name of the volume?
It's the root volume name (and the machine name). All my macs are named after Pokemon :D .

Your volume name shouldn't be displaying. It should just be:
file:///Users/Shared/...

What causes that I don't know, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Your volume name shouldn't be displaying. It should just be:
file:///Users/Shared/...
When I open the file via File>Open, it display the correct path as you show.

When I preview the file in Safari, it also shows the correct path.

So, for some reason, the path is getting munged when sent from DW to OW but not in other browsers.

Prior to Mac OS X, file URLs on the Mac always had the volume name as the first component of their path.

With Mac OS X (which is now based on UNIX), Apple standardized on the convention of using the UNIX path (just as file URLs worked on the NeXT platform, where the web was invented). Of course, many older applications still use the older file URL format, so most web browsers have to be prepared to accept either format.

This is currently broken in OmniWeb 5.5, because the code we were using to detect this in OmniWeb 5.1 is no longer being used. (It's part of the code we retired when switching to WebKit.)

Thanks for pointing out the issue!