The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync with BusyCal and Dropbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've done some searching and I've seen some old posts of people not recommending Dropbox for backing up their database.

Is this still a problem with the latest Dropbox?

Also, I'm playing around with BusyCal as a replacement for iCal. Is there any way to get Omnifocus to sync directly to BusyCal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexknight View Post
Also, I'm playing around with BusyCal as a replacement for iCal. Is there any way to get Omnifocus to sync directly to BusyCal?
My understanding of BusyCal is that it shares the same database as iCal, so anything that syncs with iCal will automatically show up in BusyCal too.

- Don

Last edited by dschaffner; 2009-10-26 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: typos

I'm going to go with syncing to a webdav server, however, does anyone know if choosing to backup the db to Dropbox is okay?

So long as a single machine is backing up your database to DropBox, that should be okay.

DropBox is an awesome service, but it doesn't quite understand how OmniFocus databases work. It'll occasionally try to add change files from two machines to the database, but that doesn't actually produce a database that OmniFocus can understand.

Thanks for confirming. It's just a single machine so it's good know that won't b a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
So long as a single machine is backing up your database to DropBox, that should be okay.

DropBox is an awesome service, but it doesn't quite understand how OmniFocus databases work. It'll occasionally try to add change files from two machines to the database, but that doesn't actually produce a database that OmniFocus can understand.

Is there any intention of making Omnifocus and DropBox work together?

I have a desktop, a laptop and an iPod Touch, and I would like to move seamlessly between them (though never work on laptop and desktop at the same time).
I don't want mobileme for any other reason, and I don't have a webdav server. I am already using dropbox to synchronise 1password.

Sign up for a free account on the experimental Omni sync server, or with one of the free webDAV providers if you don't want MobileMe (links below). Then send in a request with Help->Send Feedback for sync via Dropbox.

Accepting applications to beta test the Omni Sync Server

List of free webDAV sync providers

Backing up OF-databases to Dropbox caused huge problems: my Dropbox-client started to handle millions (sic!) of duplicate files. I strongly advise you NOT to backup your OF-files to a dropbox-folder.

I wanted to add to this topic. I have used the MobileMe sync setup and found it to be more of a headache that a convenience.

In my own life, I do quite amount of traveling throughout NYC (as really anyone who live hear does) and am always on the go. I carry my iPhone 4 and my MacBook Pro. Throughout the day I do have some time to stop at a Starbucks or a coffee shop and like to "align everything". The problem is I have found I am unable to sync on Starbucks WiFi server or any other public WiFi servers.

That is why I would like to try the Dropbox, but after hearing the problems people have been having I guess I will just wait.

I have signed up for the Omni Sync Server and hopefully that could resolve some of my issues.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Alexknight what setup did you end up going with?